anyone have cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use to babysit my brothers cat when he went on vacation. We have a general rule regarding owning a cat our-self's because of the $1000 a year cost we limit it to one.

The first three days they fight, then they tolerate each other, then they play. One evening two streaks ran through the living room so fast that we could not tell which cat was in the lead, and which one was chasing. They went right up the steps to the second floor. We have a door (one of the modern hollow light weight wood doors made with thin sheets of wood) at the top of the second floor at the entrance to the small level section before an additional couple of steps, and that door is stained dark. The lighting is not that good at the top of the stars, and the cats were really running up those steps at top speed, and the door was closed. We heard too thumps as the cats bounced off of the door. Then they both staggered down the steps and slowly walked into the living room. We think our cat was in the lead because it walked like it was drunk, and therefore we think that it hit first, and the other cat had a fraction of a second to somewhat slow down. The cats ended up being fine, but it was a heck of an interesting story to tell my brother about the cats when he came to pick his back up after vacation.

Last edited:
5 in our home Fillmore , Doc Hudson ,Stanley ,Sally and Lightning McQueen all are rescued

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
3. They cause my jeep to sputter on warm start sometimes

This was really good, I must say.
smile.gif

Check out the maine coons, they are awesome. You can go to petfinder.org and plug in cat and then the breed. I have a 10 yr old female MC gray and white. Undercarriage completely white with fluffy tail I could dust with if I needed. Adopted her as a kitten from a shelter. I looked at alot of cats and she was the only one that showed me any attention. She started meowing at me when I walked away from her cage. But I was just going to fill out the paperwork.

Originally Posted By: John_K
$1000 a year? We don't spend anywhere that much on ours.

John

Same here.

Full year of Meow Mix/Arm and Hammer Super Scoop and treats [Temtations/Crave] do not come anywhere near 1000 bucks a year.

We got a purebred Nebelung at a high class shelter. She, among other things, fetches milk bottle tops and returns them.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Check out the maine coons, they are awesome. You can go to petfinder.org and plug in cat and then the breed. I have a 10 yr old female MC gray and white. Undercarriage completely white with fluffy tail I could dust with if I needed. Adopted her as a kitten from a shelter. I looked at alot of cats and she was the only one that showed me any attention. She started meowing at me when I walked away from her cage. But I was just going to fill out the paperwork.

Our Cat Raisin (we had before Missy) was a Main Coon. Very smart, tough, so tough the neighborhood Dogs were afraid of her. (seriously) Missy Cat is a Norwegian Forrest cat. very friendly, Loves everybody, and a real Clown. Love her very much.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

John

Same here.

Full year of Meow Mix/Arm and Hammer Super Scoop and treats [Temtations/Crave] do not come anywhere near 1000 bucks a year.

I figure its roughly a $1 or so a day for food and litter (usually stock up when Target has sales). Maybe the $1k/yr accounts for vet trips? My cat has been indoor only, so besides the spaying and first round of shots, hasn't been back. I'm worried that as she ages, a visit could be expensive...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
My cat has been indoor only, so besides the spaying and first round of shots, hasn't been back. I'm worried that as she ages, a visit could be expensive...

Same here with my cat. Just make sure the vets don't try to give your cat a round of vaccines. Since the cat hasn't had regular rounds of shots and is indoor I would avoid doing this. Kind of a shock to their system imo.

Also does anyone have any good tips for hairball/indoor cat food/senior? Currently giving her meow mix hairball control. 3lb bag for around $4-5 bucks. I brush her daily and she gets lots of fresh water.

John

Same here.

I figure its roughly a $1 or so a day for food and litter (usually stock up when Target has sales). Maybe the $1k/yr accounts for vet trips? My cat has been indoor only, so besides the spaying and first round of shots, hasn't been back. I'm worried that as she ages, a visit could be expensive...

Just wait until they get older. We have a 17 year old Seal Point Siamese. Cost me a hundred in Medicam (medication) and bloodwork to deal with her arthritic knees, just this week alone. Seems like a couple hondo a month has become the new average in vet bills. Still has good quality of life. Just has become a senior citizen.

Food (prescription diet) $33.00 for 8 lbs of dry and about $30 a case for canned (helps keep her hydrated.)

Would we get rid of her? No. Is she worth it? Yes. However, she ain't cheap.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

John

Same here.

Just wait until they get older. We have a 17 year old Seal Point Siamese. Cost me a hundred in Medicam (medication) and bloodwork to deal with her arthritic knees, just this week alone. Seems like a couple hondo a month has become the new average in vet bills. Still has good quality of life. Just has become a senior citizen.

Food (prescription diet) $33.00 for 8 lbs of dry and about $30 a case for canned (helps keep her hydrated.)

Would we get rid of her? No. Is she worth it? Yes. However, she ain't cheap.

Their part of our families, we Love them.

Noticed a big improvement switching my kitties to a mostly wet diet. Coats are nicer and no more allergic reations (scabs, watery eyes, etc).

I might have to try a wet diet. My 19 year old tuxedo cat twins are getting sensitive skin toward the back legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back