Anyone have any idea what brand and/or model this mower is

1656489094420.jpg

I was looking through Facebook marketplace and came across this older aluminum deck mower, I don't think the person selling it knows much about it since they explicitly said they don't know the year in the title. It's got the off-set wheel like a Lawnboy but the ridge pattern in the deck doesn't look like any Lawnboy I've seen, I'm guessing it's from the early 80s because of the warning sticker and the flywheel brake and the air filter housing looks to be plastic and not stamped steel, but the T-handle seems a little anachronistic for a mower from the 80s so maybe it's an older deck that was repowered and had some other pieces replaced/added.

The deadman lever operating a brake on the engine is 80s though. And it looks to be fully integrated into the handle design, like it was always part of the mower. The flat muffler is also a mark of a more modern Briggs. It's probably new enough not to say "Electronic Ignition" on the label on the starter cover, though it is electronic ignition.

A resto- mod mower. Handle and deck are '50s. Engine is an old 3.5 B+S with a Magnetron ignition with a cable controlled deadman and a newer chute and newer wheels.. I'm seeing parts from at least 3 different mowers. How big is the blade? Control is a neat fit ,but by no means original to those handles. I avoid carpal tunnel by lashing the deadman with a piece of string and a slip knot. Just noticed there are no height adjusters on the wheels, That deck is oolld

Last edited:
Plus the all metal gas cap. Haven't they more or less gone to plastic with the metal splash or vent piece by the early 90s?

Plus the all metal gas cap. Haven't they more or less gone to plastic with the metal splash or vent piece by the early 90s?
The ones I have from the mid 90s still had metal caps with the cork or is it felt or some type of foam piece in the top with a few holes that directly vent to the atmosphere, I was messing with a small flat head briggs from 2008 recently and I think the plastic cap on it was pretty much the same thing just made out plastic, the bigger Quantum series flatheads used a cap like you describe, but the smaller 148cc and 158cc flatheads based on the classic Briggs design still had the old style caps until they stopped making them around 2012, they still make the replacement plastic caps (model: 497929S) the same way. It's surprising how long the classic briggs design lasted, I think they only fazed them out around 2012 when they couldn't meet emissions standards anymore, but from the late 90s to until around 2012 every cheap mower was still rocking a 148cc or 158cc aluminum block motor based on the old school Briggs design.

Back