Anyone have a vehicle long term to back their OCI?

I've visited here for years (old SN Speedy1975), loads of great info. People seem to agonize over OCI, oil types, etc, and I'm curious if anyone has a vehicle they've actually owned for say more than 10 years that would back up their OCI and oil choices?

When I went to a once a year oil change many years ago lots of folks told me I'd ruin the motor in the car. I knew from analysis there'd be no problemo. Here it is 20 years later and still doing great. I don't drive 30K miles a year but the oil has done great for up to 12K - 15K miles the car will normally see in that time.

Vehicle is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner with a supercharger installed and water/meth injection basically doubling the OEM horse power. About 150,000 miles on the clock.

Last edited:
Mother's 2006 Ford Five Hundred. Bought in 2011 with 60K miles, now over 165K.

Had dealer oil changes from 2011 to 2014 or so, likely with conventional, every 5-6K, whenever she got a letter to come in for an oil change.

After that, it was up to me and I did every OCI with Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and a Motorcraft FL-820S filter every 5-6K. I once used a Valvoline synthetic 0w20 and took it to 8-10K, but that was a one time thing.

Since last year, I've been using Supertech Conventional High Mileage 5w20 every 5K. Sixth quart usually whatever, have a couple of Mobil Super 5000s quarts, but usually it's a sixth quart of Supertech. Reasoning was it would leak less from the valve cover with "conventional," which it did. Seems to actually run smoother than the Motorcraft oil.

Cheap, no oil related problems, under the oil cap looks clean.

It’d be great if you can post some pictures of this supercharged engine with the injection system.

Per my signature I have three long-term vehicles each over 20 years old but I haven’t doubled the horsepower on any of them. I doubt any of my experience would be applicable.

4runner_wm_injection_web_09.jpg

4runner_wm_injection_web_07.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

What is a long oci? I do ~10k+ on most of my vehicles but I consider it normal. Most on here would call it long I think. For me long would be closer to 20k.

We ran (one is still going in the family) two Ford Expeditions, one a 2000 (still in service), the other a 2002 to over 200,000 miles on 10-12,000Km OCI's on mostly Mobil 1. The 2002 is still in service, I sold it a few years ago when the floor and rockers were punky.

I also had an '87 Mustang GT t-top with heads/cam/intake that bumped power about 100HP above stock. Mobil 1 in it, 10-12,000Km OCI's, engine was spotless. I wrote off the car, sold the engine privately a few years ago, had 338,000Km on it (over 200,000 miles).

Well, I think "long" in terms of OCI is perceived as 10K miles for most people, at least that I talk to. The time thing has become a metric as well it seems. Most owner's manuals I see for US vehicles call for some mileage "or 6 months whichever comes first". This kinda made me chuckle. How many cars sit on dealer lots for 6 mos plus brand new without ever getting the first oil change. Is that warranty instantly voided?

Well, I think "long" in terms of OCI is perceived as 10K miles for most people, at least that I talk to. The time thing has become a metric as well it seems. Most owner's manuals I see for US vehicles call for some mileage "or 6 months whichever comes first". This kinda made me chuckle. How many cars sit on dealer lots for 6 mos plus brand new without ever getting the first oil change. Is that warranty instantly voided?
Well for one thing that's not likely a condition of the warranty, no warranty booklet or owner's manual I've ever had said that it was. And another is I've never seen one that says six months, all mine say one year.

But in a technical sense the reason they say that is because the manufacturer has no idea how the vehicle was operated during that interval. If the vehicle is not being operated at all or only rarely then no doubt the oil is fine. But if that interval is filled with short trips of one mile during cold weather using "cheap" oil (as was a friend's old Sienna) then the oil can be in very poor condition after a relatively short period of time.

The only one of my vehicles I operate out to 10,000 miles on an OCI is my old ECHO. The 1NZ-FE engine is fairly easy on oil despite the timing chain and I've posted pictures of the internals here that show little to no deposits nor varnish after nearly 300,000 miles. My old 1MZ-FE on the other hand gets good quality synthetic on an OCI of 7000 miles or less. The pictures I've posted of that engine reveal that it is far different in terms of how it tasks the oil during the interval.

You could run head-and-sholders shampoo in a toyota engine and it would run 200K miles no problem. :)

Standard OCI today on toyotas since at least 2014 is 10K miles. (0w20) Toyota knows most folk will sleep the oil light and run 11-12Kmiles on it. Engines still run fine. My wifes 14 sienna has lots of short trips, with a few state-state mixed in. I run whichever synthetic I can get for less than $12/jug after rebate. Its seen PP, PUP, QSUD, RGT, M1, Magnetec. at 10K oil is dark but not inky. under the valve covers is squeeky clean with very little varnish. I have no concerns about an oil related problem at 10K. Sienna as 120K miles

Toyota was sneeky and made the oil light come on at 5K miles. I used to change it there so I didn't have to remember if I did it the last time or the time before. That canister oil filter broke me of that. Its not bad but the first thought when my wife tells me the light is solid is...that daym filter again. Everything else is a breeze.

I do a 10k OCI in cars that don't have an OLM. I use synthetic oil and filter, usually Napa Platinum/Wix XP

The 4th gen Maxima I had from 250k to 300k, it still looked good under the valve covers. I got rid of the car due to rust.

Reactions: FZ1
Well for one thing that's not likely a condition of the warranty, no warranty booklet or owner's manual I've ever had said that it was. And another is I've never seen one that says six months, all mine say one year.

But in a technical sense the reason they say that is because the manufacturer has no idea how the vehicle was operated during that interval. If the vehicle is not being operated at all or only rarely then no doubt the oil is fine. But if that interval is filled with short trips of one mile during cold weather using "cheap" oil (as was a friend's old Sienna) then the oil can be in very poor condition after a relatively short period of time.

The only one of my vehicles I operate out to 10,000 miles on an OCI is my old ECHO. The 1NZ-FE engine is fairly easy on oil despite the timing chain and I've posted pictures of the internals here that show little to no deposits nor varnish after nearly 300,000 miles. My old 1MZ-FE on the other hand gets good quality synthetic on an OCI of 7000 miles or less. The pictures I've posted of that engine reveal that it is far different in terms of how it tasks the oil during the interval.

I have a Challenger Hellcat, the owner's manual stipulates a 6 mos oil change max interval for time. I know people personally who had their warranties voided/denied for not following it. Seems like BS to me, but it's happened. It was a big deal over on the HC forums.

2011 Prius with 221K.

10K OCI's from new to 90K, then it has been every 5K. I always use full synthetic oil. Most changes have been with 0W-20, some have been with 5W-20 or 5W-30. Pictures of the valvetrain were posted here when I did the head gasket replacement.

Reactions: JC1
I have a Challenger Hellcat, the owner's manual stipulates a 6 mos oil change max interval for time. I know people personally who had their warranties voided/denied for not following it. Seems like BS to me, but it's happened. It was a big deal over on the HC forums.
Well people say all sorts of stuff and then sometimes it’s only half of the story.

Yep, thanks for the responses. This confirms what I figured. Multitude of different vehicles, various places, different oils, and all the same result.

Bigger things to worry about it seems.

2002 Ford F150 bought new. M1 15-50 since 2nd oil change. M1 75-140 in diff and M1 ATF in the trans. Approaching 220K and the engine or trans has never had issue. Rear Pinion bearing had an 80mph whine from factory replaced at <20K. M1 has unicorn additive.

Back