Anyone have a Syntec 5w-50 UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched in the UOA part of the forum and did not find one. If anyone has done one please chime in. What I would like to know is if it shears like crazy? I'm considereing using one or two quarts of the 5w-50 with 4/5 quarts of green GC to see if it will lower my consumption a bit. Just wondering if there's any hard data on how this oil holds up.

Thanks!

Yeah, that might lower the consumption a bit. I ran GC recently in my 1.8T with no oil consumption for 4500 miles UNTIL I drove for about 5 hrs at 85-90 mph from PA to TN. I was shocked to see level drop by about 1/8" on dipstick. My engine never showed a drop on the oil dipstick in it's whole life of using 40 weight oils (55k miles old). I'm now using Castrol 5W-40 and so far all is well except engine doesn't feel quite as "peppy" due to the higher viscosity oil...it's same as other 40 weights I've used, just more sluggish than GC. Oddly, so far mpg seems to have slightly improved if anything, but more data is needed to be sure.

I think a mix of 5W-50 and GC is worth a shot and can mimic 5W-40 Castrol's viscosity at 212F if you mix it in right ratio. Use the Shell viscosity calculator: http://www.baseoils.shellglobalsolutions.com/calculations/blending_pop.asp

Thanks Jag! It's the same way for me, it doesn't use much unless I'm turning high rpm's. I'll probably try a 5:1 mix to start with. That will yield a lower 40w, more like a 0w-40 than a 5w-40. I want to keep GC the primary oil since my engine runs great on the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back