Anyone have a good better best oil filter list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like buying sale and clearance filters, but don't want to compare apples and oranges. Anyone have a good better best list?

I know premium pretty well, like the M1, K and N and the gold fram, I think the Ford motorcraft and Wix are mid grade, but have trouble figuring out cheap from mid grade.

Post questions like this in the Oil Filter Forum, you'll get way more comments.

Amsoil EA - Best IMO (Use currently)
Royal Purple (Have cut open and run once for comparison to above)
WIX (Use currently in my in-laws vehicles with yearly synthetic oil changes on CRV / Caravan
Fram Ultra? (Never tried but heard good things)

Last edited:
Good:

Wix- Great build quality, will probably outlast our car, not so great filtration ratings, but what I personally consider acceptable.
Fram Extra Guard- Good filtration ratings, good build quality, will easily last 5k-7500 miles on any normal car.
Purolator Boss- the only filter Purolator makes, I would think about touching as it doesn't tear and has mediocre filtration ratings.

Better:

Fram Tough guard- Higher end version of the extra guard for higher mileage use and a better filtration rating.
K&N higher end filter- Build well, good filtration ratings, sadly known to have leaking issues around the seal on the nut.

Best:

Fram Ultra- Build like a tank, Guaranateed to outlast your car, the filter you want in the event of a Zombie apocalypse
Amsoil- The same as or slightly better than a Fram Ultra but not worth the price increase.
OEM- This filter was designed very specifically for your car and in some cases there is no correct after market filter made from a company with a better quality filter. It will always work. It will always fit. It will always run at least the recommended OCI.

Filters I wouldn't touch:

Tearolator- Its in the name.
Wix XP- insanely horrible filtration ratings that can be easily beat for cheaper.

Last edited:
This thread is proof that there is no such thing as "good, better, best."

It all depends on a multitude of variables that are different for every person, car, and situation. You're never going to get a straight answer as there really isn't one.

At best, you can rely on marketing; where each filter manufacturer positions their filters in the market. By that:

Good:
Fram EG
Purolator Classic
Bosch Workshop
Carquest Red
NAPA ProSelect
STP Blue
MicroGard
SuperTech

Better:
Fram TG
Purolator PureOne
Bosch Premium
Carquest Blue
NAPA Gold
STP XL
Wix
K&N PS
AC Delco
Motorcraft

Best:
Fram XG
Purolator BOSS
Bosch DistancePlus
NAPA Platinum
STP ML
Wix XP
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Mobil 1
K&N HP

*This list does not mirror the general opinion of anyone because everyone is different and has their own opinions, based on facts or otherwise.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It all depends on a multitude of variables that are different for every person, car, and situation. You're never going to get a straight answer as there really isn't one.

At best, you can rely on marketing; where each filter manufacturer positions their filters in the market. By that:

Good:
Fram EG
Purolator Classic
Bosch Workshop
Carquest Red
NAPA ProSelect
STP Blue
MicroGard
SuperTech

Better:
Fram TG
Purolator PureOne
Bosch Premium
Carquest Blue
NAPA Gold
STP XL
Wix
K&N PS
AC Delco
Motorcraft

Best:
Fram XG
Purolator BOSS
Bosch DistancePlus
NAPA Platinum
STP ML
Wix XP
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Mobil 1
K&N HP

*This list does not mirror the general opinion of anyone because everyone is different and has their own opinions, based on facts or otherwise.

Darn rooflessVW.. that's pretty doggone accurate
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Good:

Wix- Great build quality, will probably outlast our car, not so great filtration ratings, but what I personally consider acceptable.
Fram Extra Guard- Good filtration ratings, good build quality, will easily last 5k-7500 miles on any normal car.
Purolator Boss- the only filter Purolator makes, I would think about touching as it doesn't tear and has mediocre filtration ratings.

Better:

Fram Tough guard- Higher end version of the extra guard for higher mileage use and a better filtration rating.
K&N higher end filter- Build well, good filtration ratings, sadly known to have leaking issues around the seal on the nut.

Best:

Fram Ultra- Build like a tank, Guaranateed to outlast your car, the filter you want in the event of a Zombie apocalypse
Amsoil- The same as or slightly better than a Fram Ultra but not worth the price increase.
OEM- This filter was designed very specifically for your car and in some cases there is no correct after market filter made from a company with a better quality filter. It will always work. It will always fit. It will always run at least the recommended OCI.

Wix XP- insanely horrible filtration ratings that can be easily beat for cheaper.

I would never include OEM Motorcraft and OEM AC Delco as "Best". Not even close.....OMG!

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Good:
Fram EG
Purolator Classic
Bosch Workshop
Carquest Red
NAPA ProSelect
STP Blue
MicroGard
SuperTech

Better:
Fram TG
Purolator PureOne
Bosch Premium
Carquest Blue
NAPA Gold
STP XL
Wix
K&N PS
AC Delco
Motorcraft

Best:
Fram XG
Purolator BOSS
Bosch DistancePlus
NAPA Platinum
STP ML
Wix XP
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Mobil 1
K&N HP

I might change a couple around - but REALLY, that list is about right.

I just bought The Best oil filters for my new truck.

Royal Purple and Fram Racing

I run VERY good filters on my Accord: Napa Platinum

And I run good filters on my CR-V: Napa Gold

The most important thing about an oil filter is that the oil filters doesn't fail.

The most important thing about an oil filter is that the oil filters doesn't fail.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Good:

Better:

Best:

I would never include OEM Motorcraft and OEM AC Delco as "Best". Not even close.....OMG!

Why not? If I go to the dealership and buy their recommended filter, how am I going wrong? It is guaranteed fit, finish, and functionality.

The best oil filter is the one you have on your vehicle.

Also, as another member has stated, the best oil filter is the air filter.

I agree that the AC Delco could never be included on the best list. First of all, it's not even a synthetic media, or a blended media for that matter, just cellulose. And we've seen the pics on here with the media tearing too. Just because something is OEM doesn't mean it's built all that well.

I just checked and the Fram Ultra cartridge for my Yota is $14 CDN the cheapest. That is $7 cheaper than the Amsoil EAK I'm using now. I think I'll get one to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back