Anyone have a GM OLM or OLM I/II plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy a Chevy Cruze eco with the 1.4T and they mentioned throwing in one of these plans. My only concern is if they use synthetic or not?? I would think that the 1.4 would need synthetic with the turbo. Does anyone have these plans? How has it worked out?

link to what I'm talking about

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/olmcare.html

Last edited:
ryland,

I have and use the OLM in my 08' Impala SS and get a once per month down loaded report from GM/satelite radio sent to my via e-mail. This offer you mentioned is a strange one that I never was told about. In a way it osunds simular.

Anyway I normally use synthetic as a GM option offered from the GM dealership anyway so for your Chey Cruze I'd think you might automatically go the same route after the first oil change.

I like very well and use my OLM as a standard. No reason why you shouldn't do the same.

Durango

I believe that dealers are required to service all 2011 and newer vehicles with the AC Delco dexos1 semi-synthetic, so that would be the oil provided through the plan.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I believe that dealers are required to service all 2011 and newer vehicles with the AC Delco dexos1 semi-synthetic, so that would be the oil provided through the plan.

Hmm, that would be good but what worries me is that on my dealers website they have a price for an oil change with conventional and a price for synthetic.

ALWAYS worry about the dealer oil changes. They will simply use whatever comes out of the big drum out back!

I wouldn't trust them any farther than you could throw 'em.

The stealers never "throw" anything in. They always charge, or overcharge, and hide the cost somewhere.

It looks like this is actually a pre-paid maintenance plan. If that serves your needs, and the price (if you can find where they hid it) is OK, fine.

The Oil Life Monitor is programmed to work correctly with whatever minimum oil spec is listed in your owner's manual. Don't worry about exceeding that spec unless you are planning on owning this car for several hundred thousand miles. Do confirm that they actually used the oil the spec calls for.

GM has a service schedule based on whenever the OLM goes off rather than fixed 7.5K/15K/30K, etc mileage. Odd services get just an oil change, even services get tire rotations and other things.

I assume they're selling you a prepaid plan following this schedule. According to the manual, they have to use a dexos1 oil, which is synthetic blend at a minimum. It's up to you to make sure that's what they actually use.

Change your own using a MityVac 7201. It gets all the oil out sucking it through the dipstick hole. Then change the cartridge filter right next to the oil fill hole, and you don't ever need to get on the ground to change oil with this car.

It takes 4 liters of oil, BTW.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Change your own using a MityVac 7201. It gets all the oil out sucking it through the dipstick hole. Then change the cartridge filter right next to the oil fill hole, and you don't ever need to get on the ground to change oil with this car.

It takes 4 liters of oil, BTW.

You like your Mityvac 7201 ?

After 3-4 years of use to do oil change, ATF, PSF, brake bleeding ... for several cars, you will like it even more. Especially using MV7201 to do oil change with cars that have splash shield that you need to remove before you can reach the drain bolt.

If it cost you money, I would say don't do it. I worked in sales for 3 years and 8 months. Most of these plans are selling you "inspections". You pay for anything that they actually fix or replace.

Change your oil according to your manual's specs (which are according to the OLM or once a year if the OLM doesn't indicate a need for a change). Other services should be done as needed. Your transmission should be a sealed (filled for life) unit that does not need service.

If they are throwing it in, it is a way to build value in the deal to make you think you are getting a better deal. If you do accept it, "of course you don't want to loose out by not following the plan". That just gives them more opportunity to sell you more services.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
I'm going to buy a Chevy Cruze eco with the 1.4T and they mentioned throwing in one of these plans. My only concern is if they use synthetic or not?? I would think that the 1.4 would need synthetic with the turbo. Does anyone have these plans? How has it worked out?

link to what I'm talking about

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/olmcare.html

I love that most multi-vehicle inspections still call for lubricating chassis components-- on a unibody car LOL. If you're set to buy one of those plans.. pick the smart plan. The rest is just garbage which trust me.. your dealership will let you know if anyway if they see warranty or wear and tear service they could ask you to perform .

IMO though all the GMPP stuff is a scam to begin with.

Last edited:
Waste of money. I know these plans pretty well...they are just a money maker, and at times cost more than the actual dealer oil changes themselves. Our local dealerships used to laugh at these plans (since many people just came to the dealership anyways), but now they are forced to sell them, required by GM.

My local dealership sales guy (he's been there a while) who knows me quite well will have to sell me one of these plans if I pick up a Cruze. As he told me" How to you sell this to the customer who already takes good care of their car?" It's a valid point....

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
ALWAYS worry about the dealer oil changes. They will simply use whatever comes out of the big drum out back!

I wouldn't trust them any farther than you could throw 'em.

Not mine...They show me Ezactly what they use...all I had to was ask.

I wouldn't get it. Seriously changing the oil every 10k miles isn't that bad, and like was mentioned, get a mityvac if you don't want to get under the car.

The dealership we bought our cars from has a "free tires for life" program if you get all scheduled maintenance done there. We ignored it because it has to be brought in far more often than it would otherwise, would cost more that way, and to be frank the is tires are bad enough, at least on the equinox, that it wouldn't be worth it anyway. The optimo h725 are baaad. Anyway op, don't get it those things are ripoffs most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back