Anyone familiar with Porsche 944s?

I’ve been itching for a 944 for years. No specific model, but I like the S2 and Turbo/S versions. I’ve always owned 70s/80s BMWs, just want to change things up a bit.

Is their durability/reliability similar to older Bimmers? I don’t even know of forums to look for one, except maybe Pelican.

Friends have owned and raced them over the years and I came real close to a owning a 968 Cabriolet. Nothing too bad sticks in my memory, but they are old cars now and like anything from the era, electronics can be a challenge. But on the upside, Porsche uses quality components and they were well built. They are also still well supported by the factory, but you will pay. The interiors, spartan as they are, last remarkably well.

Get a PPI from an indy who knows the cars, the PCA can help here.

Buy the absolute nicest one you can afford.

Have you also considered the 968? I always loved that era.

A quick search led to this buyer's overview;
944 Buyer's Guide

Rennlist is a good forum, Pelican is OK.

I had an '89 944 Turbo. In '88 there was a Turbo and a Turbo S. In '89 the former Turbo S became the standard model. It was a great car in the early 90's. Don't neglect to change the timing belt on time.

This isn't mine, but it looked just like this.

image-thumb.jpg

924/944/968 all have a timeless look. Sorry, some new cars are videogame cartoons that are overly overdone.

Fine the best maintained one and enjoy.

I like the looks, but I hear they are quite a high maintenance item

WatchJRGo went through quite a bit of work putting one back on the road, parts are major expensive and you'll need the most obscure special tools

If I remember an old TG episode, the 924 is just the VW engined lower end poor man's 944

968 is a slightly different animal (3.0 I4 anyone?)

I like the looks, but I hear they are quite a high maintenance item

WatchJRGo went through quite a bit of work putting one back on the road, parts are major expensive and you'll need the most obscure special tools

If I remember an old TG episode, the 924 is just the VW engined lower end poor man's 944

968 is a slightly different animal (3.0 I4 anyone?)

...and that is why you buy the absolute best one you can afford. You pay either way.

Back