Anyone Experienced/Heard About Mich Energy Saver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelin has just released a new model tire, the "Energy Saver A/S". A week ago, TR didn't have any stats on it, just that it was there. Now, there is this page. I've got another 20k or so to go with the Camry's fair Bridgestones, but I'm starting to think about new rubber.

So, anyone got any info about how these tires do in the real world?

Nothing really new for Michelins. They have been making Energy tires for years. I have the Michelin Energy MXV4 v rated tires on my 2007 Honda Accord. I have 73,000 on it with the original Michelins on it. They have abour 3 to 4/32nds left and will be replacing them with Michelin Primacy MXV4 in a few weeks....Over the years Michelins have corrected many a tire problem from other brands such as Firestone and GoodYear....

I've owned many sets of Michelins over the years, including a set of MXV4 "Energy" on the Prius (two still installed). This is a new model, recently released. Here a couple bits from the Tire Rack description of the new model:

Quote:
The Energy Saver A/S is Michelin North America’s most fuel-efficient All-Season Passenger car tire developed for the drivers of hybrid and fuel-efficient passenger cars that want to exploit their vehicle’s fuel economy without abandoning dry, wet and wintertime traction. Representing the forefront of Michelin Green X technology . . .

The Energy Saver A/S features Michelin’s EnergySaver Construction combined with a unique silica-based tread rubber that helps improve engine fuel efficiency by keeping the tire cooler. . .

I was just trying to see if anyone had yet tried or heard specifics about, this particular new tire.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
It is new but based on there past energy tires....It is just evolving to the lastest tech....

I'm very sure that it is. I've liked past Michelins I've had (except for Hydroedges on the Prius which went back under the wty for unacceptable noise) in the past.

I just want to know if anyone has tried this particular model, or heard about it yet.

There are a couple of new "eco" tires being marketed out there by other companies. Goodyear has one and so does someone else...

I can't wait until the "eco" tires with low rolling resistance become common enough people use them as A/S tires in the winter... especially for states that see snow.

Yeeeaaaahh, let's take an already mediocre A/S tire and reduce friction with the road surface... then lets let people drive them in snow!

Every Prius/Insight/Civic Hybrid/Fusion Hybrid already have these tires (or similar). And I don't see the ditches lined with them every winter. The only correlation I see with being stuck in the ditch is RWD and overconfidence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're not good, but no worse than tires with 2-3-4/32nds of tread, or summer tires both of which I see all the time. Parts of Canada have mandatory snow tires, my state doesn't even require M+S tires, or any tread depth over 2/32nds, and there's no inspection for anything anyway.

Interested to hear about these, but I'm sure it will be a few months before tirerack has any good reviews, especially with the limited sizes they offer. I wonder what tires we'll be getting OEM on cars when CAFE requires 35cafe/28epa combined mpg.

I would worry that at 130 bucks apiece, they won't save enough in gas to cover the premium over an 80 dollar second-tier tire.

I'm a bit wrong on my worry low RR tires wouldn't pay for themselves. Here's some easy numbers that show they probably will.

50,000 mile tread life on either tire.

Fuel Saving tire at 130.00
Regular tire at 80.00

Fuel Saving tire at 31.5mpg (5% improvement)
Regular tire at 30mpg

Fuel Saving tire uses 1587 gallons
Regular tire uses 1667 gallons

Gas only has to be 2.50 for the tires to pay for their added cost.

Yeah, even michelin's site says 10% reduction in RR = 1.5% improvement in fuel economy. But there are so many variables I didn't want to bring it up, since every one could be questioned.

I picked 1.5mpg because I've heard of people buying tires and having that big of a reduction, but I think that was high.

Then again, I should have compared a Michelin low RR tire to a Michelin regular RR tire, the prices would have been more similar (making payback more likely).

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
I can't wait until the "eco" tires with low rolling resistance become common enough people use them as A/S tires in the winter... especially for states that see snow.

Yeeeaaaahh, let's take an already mediocre A/S tire and reduce friction with the road surface... then lets let people drive them in snow!

I'll keep that in mind next time I hit black ice, or an inadequately snow-plowed road here in PENSACOLA, FLORIDA. . . Sorry, but you sorta set yerself up for that -- couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back