Anyone ever use car tire chains on lawnmower?

I have a plow for my jd330 garden tractor but its terrible without tire chains. Ive been looking for chains but they are quite expensive and dont seem very robust. The rear tires on the tractor are fairly wide and tall and was wondering if there was some measurement i could take to possibly size up automotive tire chains as they are much cheaper used and in abundance. The tire size on my tractor is 23x10.50-12.

Tire Chain Repair Pliers make building/repairing chains easy. Chains will improve your traction but also get you stuck deeper.

I had a couple of car wheels that had the same bolt pattern. Then I put car chains on them and added 2 wheel weights per rear wheel. The wheel weights must have been about 40 pounds each. This worked great for me when pushing driveway snow on our gravel drive with my old Cub Cadet 108.

yep, I have used car tire chains on my riders had to remove or add links, took some time, not all that long to do, but they work great

When I first saw the thread title my thought wasn't tractor mower, it was this,
images (2).jpeg

It all seemed pretty strange after that

If i do end up modifying car chains to fit then the most important spec would be making sure the tire widths are the same as that’s hard to modify vs the length?

I have a plow truck and snowblower for snow removal of my driveway. The tractor plow is more of a thing to play with. Overall the tractor is probably too light to push anything to heavy but will make quick work of light snow.

Back