Anyone ever try Nissan Ester Engine Oil 5w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it when I was at the dealer picking up parts for my Xterra. Trying to find more info on it.

Snipped from the website:

Nissan Ester Engine Oil 5W-30 999MP-5W30EP

Nissan Genuine 5W-30 Ester Engine Oil for both the 370Z and G37 platforms.

Nissan 5W-30 Ester oil is required for all 370Z/G37 under Factory Nissan Warranty.

7589.jpg

Wonder how much the dealers charge for this oil. If it is required on these models for the warranty, shouldn't it be free?

This same family of v-6 engines is in many models of Nissan. Would there be any advantage to using this oil in them, also?

I have no clue how much it costs, but wanted to know if there was a PDS or something on it. I'd assume it would sell for more than $8 as dealers always overcharge for items.

Wonder how well it would work in other engines.

Edit:

Checked a Nissan 350z forum where a poster gave some info:

Quote:
It is a conventional Group2 base stock oil with ester-based additives. It is not a G5 oil like Motul or Redline. As opposed to a POE or Diester base oil, this conventional oil has a healthy dose of some ester additive, such as the Borate esters used by many companies such as Mobil and Castrol in certain products. I am sure a VOA will be done by someone and we'll have a better idea of the formulation, but my guess is that the oil is no where near worth picking up at the $12/quart my local dealer rapes their customers for. I wouldn't buy it. My guess is the VVEL system places a significant amount of shearing forces on the oil between the rocker arm, eccentric cam, and output cam linkages which prohibit the oil from properly lubricating these parts. Since the lubrication needs dictate high film strength, a good ester additive fits the bill perfectly since it will aid in polar affinity of the oil to metals, resist shear, and possibly aid in increasing viscosity with fewer VII's while meeting the specs for SM and GF-4. Of course, additives like Borate Esters aren't cheap, either, but can be found in formulations like GC 0W-30 and even Silkolene for less money than $12 a quart. I wonder who makes this oil for Nissan. Most of their factory oils are Esso, which is Mobil's overseas division, but I don't know if this oil is an XOM product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
Nissan 5W-30 Ester oil is required for all 370Z/G37 under Factory Nissan Warranty.
Where does that quote come from? I thought manufacturers cannot require a specific brand of oil unless they provide it to you for free.

The retail price of this oil is $11.99. I wouldn't pay that for a group II base oil. I bet this stuff is repackaged Castrol Magnatec/Start up. It probably has less then 10% group V in it.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The retail price of this oil is $11.99. I wouldn't pay that for a group II base oil. I bet this stuff is repackaged Castrol Magnatec/Start up. It probably has less then 10% group V in it.

That was my thought exactly when I first heard about this oil - just re-badged Castrol 'Start Up' oil.

Probably the same 'program' that has Castrol re-badging Edge 5W-30 as 'GM 4718M oil'.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back