Anyone ever hear of oil analysis provider "Under My Hood"?

Quick question. Was web-searching oil analysis, and came across a vendor which I couldn't find by searching here on BITOG. After getting over my astonishment, posting here. Curious if anyone ever heard of, or used, undermyhood.com, also selling kits on Amazon? Appears to be located in AZ.

Be gentle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very difficult to figure out their operation. When you Google their address, you come up with this affiliated company, which seems to be a lab products and software provider: http://www.merrillsoft.com/ .... I peeked at your website and I didn't see what their analysis even measured. I wonder if they just collect samples, have some other lab analyze them, then send the results to you? Nothing adds up here.

One company description states "MerrillSoft is a software development company that specializes in Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) solutions for used oil analysis. Our current product Fluid Trend Analysis 2000 (FTA2000) utilizes state-of-the-art technology to give our customers the competitive edge. FTA2000 provides instant access to sample results and a wide variety of status reports via the SampleResults.com Internet site. It also provides email and faxing capabilities. Our large customer base allows a one-stop shopping for lab supplies and sample kits at extremely competitive prices."

Last edited:
The PO Box on their mailing label is to an oil analysis lab called Titan Laboratories. They do oil, coolant and diesel fuel analysis.

Appreciate the detective work at BITOG!

So no matter the interlocking corporations involved, seems like it would be a legitimate analysis provider for consideration.

For MerrillSoft, besides LIMS (as above), found "specializes in ... lab supplies, equipment and sample kit manufacturing." Also records of cargoes shipped to them from China in the last month were designated "plastic bottles" and "LDPE tubing."

For Titan Labs, seems more focused on industry (in the fluids mentioned above), but certainly appears competent and experienced.

Guess UnderMyHood has arranged for their kits to appear high in search results as of late.

Thanks.

Appreciate the detective work at BITOG!

So no matter the interlocking corporations involved, seems like it would be a legitimate analysis provider for consideration.

For MerrillSoft, besides LIMS (as above), found "specializes in ... lab supplies, equipment and sample kit manufacturing." Also records of cargoes shipped to them from China in the last month were designated "plastic bottles" and "LDPE tubing."

For Titan Labs, seems more focused on industry (in the fluids mentioned above), but certainly appears competent and experienced.

Guess UnderMyHood has arranged for their kits to appear high in search results as of late.

Thanks.
This is not an unusual practice. Many lube suppliers use independent labs for analysis. They get great volume discounts.

Back