Anyone ever get a covered repair under oil warranties/guarantees?

So for the fun of it, I registered my brand new Ram Hemi with Castrol for their engine warranty, as I planned to use Castrol Edge in the truck anyway. It was free to do. I also sent them an email asking if it's valid if I change my own oil, as the wording in the warranty is conflicting with their webpage on if it must be "professionally changed". I put little to no stock in that they would actually pay out, but I'm curious:

Has anyone seen any threads of, or themselves ever had Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc. paying out on any claim under their various "lifetime" warranties/guarantees? Any one better than another?
Hello! I have NEVER heard of anyone getting this done because the oil failed to protect the engine. My 2008 Toyota sienna van has a 5,000 mile oil change interval. I change the oil every 20,000 miles with Mobil1 5w-30 ep oil along with the Fram extra guard oil filter. (The 20,000 mile oil filter) The van now has 357,234 miles on it. It also does not use any oil between oil changes. Of course, the dealer's service advisor told me that I was going to ruin my engine by going longer than 5,000 on my oil changes. I even asked if I used synthetic oil if I could go longer and he said no! I never went back after that conversation.

The oil warranty stuff is as elusive as a "diminished value" claim on BITOG. Very rare, if ever received.

Hello! I have NEVER heard of anyone getting this done because the oil failed to protect the engine. My 2008 Toyota sienna van has a 5,000 mile oil change interval. I change the oil every 20,000 miles with Mobil1 5w-30 ep oil along with the Fram extra guard oil filter. (The 20,000 mile oil filter) The van now has 357,234 miles on it. It also does not use any oil between oil changes. Of course, the dealer's service advisor told me that I was going to ruin my engine by going longer than 5,000 on my oil changes. I even asked if I used synthetic oil if I could go longer and he said no! I never went back after that conversation.
But have you done that since it was new, honestly?

IMO with the short intervals required you'd pretty much always have fresh oil in the sump...

Castrol's says:

Castrol Edge warranty said:
For vehicles that have between 75,000 miles and 125,000 miles, the payment of claims under this warranty is limited to 50% of the repair cost to a maximum of $2,500. In no event shall the liability of BP Lubricants USA Inc. exceed $5,000 or the fair market value of the covered vehicle.

For vehicles at or under 18,000 miles, you must prove service was performed in accordance with vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for applicable driving conditions. For vehicles between 18,000 and 125,000 miles, you must prove service was performed in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations for severe driving conditions.

So basically use only their oil, and prove that you've gone by the severe schedule if you've got over 18k miles....in exchange they might pay up to $5,000.00 to replace the engine.

Sounds like a waste of a long interval oil to me. But BP's profits sure thank you!

So basically use only their oil, and prove that you've gone by the severe schedule if you've got over 18k miles....in exchange they might pay up to $5,000.00 to replace the engine.

Sounds like a waste of a long interval oil to me. But BP's profits sure thank you!
The ExxonMobil warranty is far less restrictive and quite straightforward. In fact they warrant the oil out to the limits they publish for the product:

As was noted above, one of the limiting factors is the fair market value of the vehicle. So if you have a 300k mile Camry that is 15 years old, you might get $500 if it was actually an oil related failure.

It's more marketing than it is insurance or a warranty because 99.44% of people won't even keep the car long enough to consider a claim.

Not to mention I believe cooling system failures take out far more cars than lubrication failures.

Back