Anyone else think Art Bell was the most underrated media personality of the last century

I thought the final verdict was that he committed suicide? Accidental OD is just a nice way of saying it.
I have not kept up with current statics, but the number one cause of death of American women between ages 44 and 52 from year 2000 through 2010 was overdose of prescription drugs, primarily opioids.

1/4 of the callers had a screw loose. I would guess 90% of the stories were made up. Some like me just had insomnia.

I had to look it up. He took oxycodone, hydrocodone, Valium and Soma. The amounts were large.

But, we may never know why.
Early in his career, before talk show host, he was a pole climber. One day, he fell and severely injured his back. He was living in pain much of his life. I believe that is why he "finally" retired after several previous retirements. Like most overdoses, the usual doses lose their effectiveness causing more to be taken and the rest is history.

I remember one night he did not return after the usual news break. During the break, he decided to step out onto his raised patio for a smoke. He forgot that the deck had been removed and a new one was being constructed. He stepped out in the darkness and there was nothing but air between him and the ground. He was out cold for a while. That sure didn't help his back situation either.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back