Anyone else think Art Bell was the most underrated media personality of the last century

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Art Bell was the most underrated media personality of the last century. No matter who he was interviewing, or what was being discussed, he drew interest in most any subject on his show. Many of the guests to his show were looney tunes or just selling books, but no matter- it was super entertaining to listen to. His replacement makes me want to turn the channel for elevator music, for more excitement.

I can listen to Art Bell rebroadcasts any day of the week. Thought to mention Art Bell with the Stanford PhD making a special announcement about aliens.

Absolutely! I was an avid listener for years. (George Noory is also excellent in my book.) Art started that show with a great sense of pride. He was very smart also.
If you get a chance, read his book. It talks about how he got started. Yes, he had some very entertaining -albeit "crazy" guests, but that was one of the things I loved about the show. Late night audiences and speaking from the "High Desert"... Art also had on equally fascinating and scientific minds. Yup, underrated for sure!

Absolutely! I was an avid listener for years. (George Noory is also excellent in my book.) Art started that show with a great sense of pride. He was very smart also.
If you get a chance, read his book. It talks about how he got started. Yes, he had some very entertaining -albeit "crazy" guests, but that was one of the things I loved about the show. Late night audiences and speaking from the "High Desert"... Art also had on equally fascinating and scientific minds. Yup, underrated for sure!
JG,

I will order his book tonight, thanks much for the recommendation. I will have to not agree with you on George Noory. I think a colonoscopy is more enjoyable than listening to George Noory.

And Pahrump, Nevada is a real place.

Parump.jpg

I listened to Art Bell and George Noory often when I was younger. The content could be pretty far out, but it was always entertaining. Both great interviewers, they both actually listened to what the interviewee said and asked questions around that topic. Most hosts now just get on the radio and talk. It seems that the art of interviewing is lost.

Art Bell catered to old guys who were science fiction fans/conspiracy freaks who were insomniacs.......

Not missed-JMHO. Will the last person listening on the AM band turn off the radio........?

Last edited:
Always like Art Bell, would catch him weekly when I'd make an hour- hour and a half drive home from a friends house once a week leaving anytime between 11pm -1am in the morning. Some subjects would just creep me out or give me the heebie jeebies.

I caught the show sporadically for some years with Art Bell. Mostly when he was doing the show from the Philippines for some years. I think he was a better host than George Noory on interviewing guests. Noory did an OK job for some time but seems to be calling it in for several years. I should say that I was a somewhat regular listener with Noory for several years, but now infrequently. A couple of the guest hosts are good, especially Ian Punnett and George Knapp. Not so much on the others. There are a couple of guests that I attempt to catch if I know they will be on, like David Paulides.

JG,

I will order his book tonight, thanks much for the recommendation. I will have to not agree with you on George Noory. I think a colonoscopy is more enjoyable than listening to George Noory.
I actually have a signed copy of this book -

1661396445664.jpg

Art (I must say) was "The" Late Night radio pioneer. He kept me up countless nights listening to everything from Ghosts and UFO abductions to Conspiracies. You probably also know that many of his shows can be heard when you subscribe to the Coast-to-Coast channel. I have dozens of cassette tapes from over the years.

I'm sorry you don't like his successor (George) but I think he's waaaayyyy better than Ian Punnett! George at least allows guests and callers to talk!

Anyhow... Brought back a ton of memories. Thanks for the post.

Art Bell 1.jpg

Reactions: GON
Always like Art Bell, would catch him weekly when I'd make an hour- hour and a half drive home from a friends house once a week leaving anytime between 11pm -1am in the morning. Some subjects would just creep me out or give me the heebie jeebies.
Oh man!! Tell me! Mel's Hole?? That was crazy... How about the pilot that called flying over area 51? Some great shows!! Even better at night!

Reactions: GON
Coast to Coast with Art Bell was way better than Noory and his many boring and laughably embarrassing guests he often has on. IMO John B Wells should've been the host of Coast after passing of Art Bell who substituted many times during that era. But he was too truthful and politically incorrect for the powers that be and they eventually fired him. I do listen to Coast sometimes on weekend when Ian Punnet hosts the show. Now my favorite radio show is Caravan to Midnight.

Back