Anyone else own a oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the 09' Camry of mine with the 2AZ-FE has 161k on it. Tried every grade of oil except 20w50 and SAE 30. Drinking about 2.5 quarts per 3,800-4,000 OCI

Lord knows how much longer I'll enjoy owning a oil drinking/burning car.
lol.gif

Anyone here own a oil burning/consuming vehicle?

Originally Posted by fd1430
I would just replace the oil filter and add oil.

Good point, I'm going to replace the FRAM tough guard soon as it has almost 25k on it
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

While other people might have oil burners...

You do not.

Your car is using about a quart every 1,500 miles.

Manufacturers won't even warranty that consumption rate on a NEW car, and to have that rate on a 161,xxx mile car is not a big deal.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Good point, I'm going to replace the FRAM tough guard soon as it has almost 25k on it
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

The oil filter's probably been in bypass for a while and soon the Camry engine will need its own bypass.....lol

You've now run a few oil filters for crazy-length OCIs in that Camry. How much oil did it consume, prior to testing all those filters?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Find an AZ, pick up a bunch of that FAR RGT 5W30, put an Ultra on it, top it off until it dies (I bet it won't!).

I have around 250~ quarts total and its 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

The oil filter's probably been in bypass for a while and soon the Camry engine will need its own bypass.....lol

You've now run a few oil filters for crazy-length OCIs in that Camry. How much oil did it consume, prior to testing all those filters?

I bought the car with 90K on it. Was not using oil as owners used PYB 5W20. I used PP 5w20 for 10k (2 5k ocis and on third OCI it started consuming oil. I was 3,500 miles into a 4,000 oci and checked oil and it was at 2 quarts on stick. Maxlife 15w40 with some Valvoline Syn Maxlife 0w20 helped. I checked it again. at brothers house with 3k on it and it had smidge under 3.5 quarts so I changed it to Maxlife Syn 5w20 Dexos 1 Gen2 new "easy pour bottle"

Gift from brother for Christmas
smile.gif

I'll monitor oil as i check it daily each morning

Originally Posted by Audios
Try some of that Valvoline Blue Restore like The Critic and see what it does, for science!

My new year resolution is to get a 12' Corolla I spy and or

B. If the Camry gets worse use ST 15W40 in summer and my 500+ "AAP& Autozone clearance oil cellar of oil" til it's used up. No need wasting expensive oil if car is gonna keep consuming it. Might try some HK SAE 30 too
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2020-Motor-Saver/dp/B00CPL8WY8

I`m in a N63 group on Facebook. N63 is Bmw`s twinturbo V8 known for burning oil, some of them burns alot.
This stuff is reported to work well from several people. The went from burning alot to almost nothing, the feedback from 223 people on Amazon is quite positive. Worth a try. I bought 2 bottles myself for my next OC.
My N63TU burns approx 2 quartz every 4000 miles with Bmw oem 0w30 LL04. Reported to get a little better with 5W40 with low noack

Last edited:
My 07 Impala is an oil "burner". Takes around 1qt every 2k or so. I bought it with 20k and ran M1EP 5W30 with extended OCIs. Replacing the tranny now so I will also take a moment to replace valve cover gaskets, oil pan, and crankshaft seals. Will probably switch to 40 after that.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
The oil filter's probably been in bypass for a while .....
Very unlikely.

So, the 09' Camry of mine with the 2AZ-FE has 161k on it. Tried every grade of oil except 20w50 and SAE 30. Drinking about 2.5 quarts per 3,800-4,000 OCI

Lord knows how much longer I'll enjoy owning a oil drinking/burning car.
lol.gif

Anyone here own a oil burning/consuming vehicle?

where is all that oil going to???

i would try to figure out if it is either from low tension rings, valve stem seals, stuck/worn rings, or bad pcv valve

Originally Posted by Astro14
While other people might have oil burners...

You do not.

Your car is using about a quart every 1,500 miles.

Manufacturers won't even warranty that consumption rate on a NEW car, and to have that rate on a 161,xxx mile car is not a big deal.

While you are technically correct in a way...

That car is a oil burner in a everyday real sense.

Just like my lady's 98 Camry 2.2 L motor... It burns about 1 quart every 3,000-3,500 miles. That is not too bad at all... We have put about 100k miles on it and this phenomenon has been extremely consistent throughout us having the car. A very good little car that only had 66k miles on it when we got it.

crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Adam I'm waiting to see that cut and paste.

Originally Posted by super20dan
stop using 20w oil.

That's the dumbest comment so far. Thanks for nothing helpful

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
have you considered a piston soak with berrymans B12 or similar. Your pistons rings might be coked.

I'm thinking may be valve stem seals as I have had family members look on startup and no smoke. If rings were coked up bad I'd imagine it wouldn't pass emissions. Just a random thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back