Anyone else nerd out on history?

I really enjoyed the History Documentary and I think Timeline on "The man that saved the world". It's really scary when you realize how much stuff we aren't told by the government. Supposedly in June of 1981 a Russian Satellite glitched and thought an ICBM was headed toward Moscow. From what it said and from declassified pictures Russian ICBMs were armed and the silo doors opened. According to the guy that stopped the whole ordeal two keys were in the console and officials were 10 minutes away from firing.

I like watching these sorts of things but also there is often wrong info presented, or possibly some things are exaggerated for dramatic effect. I think in this instance the Soviet operators were well aware they regularly received faulty info and false positives from their satellites, although this one was far worse than typical. Certainly this is very scary but he knew that it didn't really make much sense for the US to fire just one nuke and the whole thing was relatively calmly resolved IIRC...

I find the 1983 "Able Archer" instance a bit more scary...

I could ponder the "what if" scenarios all day long. WWII is full of them.

What if one of the assassination attempts on Hitler's life was successful?
What if the D-Day invasion never happened or was beaten back into the sea?
What if Germany accomplished air superiority over Britain?
What if the Germans steamed forward and captured Moscow in the early months instead of delaying to encircle Kiev?
What if the recon reports of German tanks sitting idle outside the Ardennes was taken seriously by French command?

The scenarios are nearly endless.

One I wonder about a lot if the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. What if he'd left Serbia after the 1st failed attempt rather than sticking around for the 2nd and successful attempt? What if the driver hadn't taken a wrong turn?

Would WWI had happened in the way we know it?
Would the Soviets have ever risen to power?
Would WWII have ever happened?
Would the US have ever risen to be a super power?

There's a Youtube channel called Alternate History that takes a stab at all of these scenarios with some rather well thought out theories. The one about "What if the South won the Civil War?" is a particularly interesting one.

This reminded me of the D Day rehearsal drill that took place beforehand. 800 brave souls lost their lives in a mass of confusion.

This reminded me of the D Day rehearsal drill that took place beforehand. 800 brave souls lost their lives in a mass of confusion.

A shameful lapse of OPSEC and complacency but this is also part of a coverup. There was also an instance where live ammunition that was supposed to be fired over the heads of US troops during a landing exercise in the UK, were fired directly into them after some of the training gunners thought they were using blanks! I think dozens were killed and wounded and again a veil of secrecy was enforced:

Now as commemorations to mark the 60th anniversary of the Normandy landings are finalised, the official version of events can be challenged by testimony about the earlier tragedy at Slapton Sands. Statements collected by The Observer over several years reveal a truth almost too awful to contemplate, perhaps explaining why the Pentagon suppressed the details.

The accounts of those present that day indicate that, as thousands of GIs swarmed ashore from landing craft, they were cut down by bullets fired by comrades playing the role of German defenders, who had for some reason been given live ammunition.

Letters reveal how Lieutenant-Colonel Edwin Wolf, from Baltimore, heard several shots 'zinging' past his ear as he observed the exercise from a vantage point nearby, and saw 'infantrymen on the beach fall down and remain motionless'. Under a hail of fire, Wolf quickly retreated.

Bullets also whizzed past Hank Aaron from West Virginia, driver to a general observing the exercises. Aaron scrambled from the line of fire, then looked up and saw five men dead.

Royal Engineer Jim Cory watched dumbfounded from an observation post as soldiers streaming from landing craft were 'mown down like ninepins'.

'We later found out it was a mistake. They should have had dummy ammunition, but they just carried on shooting, said Cory, who counted 150 bodies before he fled.

I like watching these sorts of things but also there is often wrong info presented, or possibly some things are exaggerated for dramatic effect. I think in this instance the Soviet operators were well aware they regularly received faulty info and false positives from their satellites, although this one was far worse than typical. Certainly this is very scary but he knew that it didn't really make much sense for the US to fire just one nuke and the whole thing was relatively calmly resolved IIRC...

I find the 1983 "Able Archer" instance a bit more scary...
Yes even the "Able Archer" shows how the Soviets intercepted a mock drill thinking it was real. Truly bonkers.

Back