Anyone else like buffalo / bison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered ground buffalo a few years back, and now use it, when I can find it, exclusively. It's so lean that your hands don't get greasy when working it and the flavor is the same as beef, only "meatier."

For burgers I mix a little egg, and Worcestershire sauce in, and I really love them.

I use it in every ground beef recipe though, spaghetti, sloppy joe, chili,...

We bought some bison a few weeks ago from a distributor at the local farmer's market. We cooked it in the crock pot, and it was quite dry. I think it was the cut, but he only offered the one type of cut. It had very little marbling.

Buffalo's excellent. Really lean. A lot of people in Montana and other western states buy it from ranchers who raise buffalo. A friend of mine and two other guys bought a whole one from a rancher, had it slaughtered, butchered, wrapped, and frozen, and paid $1.79 lb. for the pounds that they put in their freezers. Can't beat that. I'll still take beef over buffalo tho. I ate so much deer and antelope from my big game hunting days that I don't want the stuff any more. And I never did think it was as good as beef.

quote:

it was quite dry

That's been my experience with it as well, but I think it depends a lot on how you cook it. Tried a bison burger @ "Ruby Tuesday" once, and it sucked balls (I don't like that place to begin with though, so take that however you want). Bought a pound of some buffalo jerky once, however, and it wasn't bad at all. Mind you it's not something I would spend the extra money on all the time, as I make my own deer jerky, but it was tasty all the same. It's supposed to be better for you too.

Venison tends to be a little on the lean side like buffalo; tenderloins are better with either a quick sear/fry, and the rest I usually either have ground into burger (mixed w/ extra fat @ the butcher), make into jerky, or cut up into small pieces for stews and the like. Never had real good luck with whole roasts.
dunno.gif

As I mentioned above, it is very lean. That will make it dry unless it is cooked right. It is pefect for ground meat dishes like chili, et al, which have other thing in them. For burgers, it requires med. rare cooking and/or some filler. My favorite buffalo burger had bread crumbs in it, as well as other spices, which makes it an Italian meat loaf burger, but, oh my, it is good. Everyone who has tried my recipes raves about them.

Veggies are good. I make veg meals, I make killer salads. I do a great baked salmon. Beef, pork are used sparingly here, lots of chicken, veggies, baked potatoes. Low salt, low fat cooking mostly. I can cook most pasta dishes. Always try to offset calories with fresh greens and tomatoes. I make an all purpose tomato sauce that works with pasta, chili, meat. Going to can some this year. Going to have bushels of tomatoes in the garden this year.

Often the game meats aren't hung and aged like beef either, so will have different cooking issues.

Down here, I think most buffalo is water buffalo.

Although beefalo is starting to be produced.

I've eaten bison, which is erroneously called buffalo by many or even most Americans. Bison is very tasty and now even regular supermarkets carry it. I'd eat buffalo, but the only one around here is in the SF zoo and looks gamey.

Anyone for capybara roast? Their skin makes great driving gloves, so maybe they taste good. A fallacy, you say? Prove it!
wink.gif

As I understand it, the American Bison, (Bison Bison) can be correctly called either name. Not an expert though, that was just the impression I was under.

Doing a bit more research though, I'm probably eating beefalo, as there are few pure herds.

I was wandering home one night after a drunken soiree in the south of Brazil (It was Oktoberfest in Blumenau ) and I heard some rustling in the bushes.....thinking it was just some folks either really enjoying their beer I kept walking, then my next thought it maybe was some big fellows who wanted my money......only to next spot these GIANT rodents on my tail......my thoughts were not me eating them..... capybara!!!

Capybara are cute. Okay, their tails (stumps) and feet are hideous. In German they're eupemistically called "Brazilian water pigs." If people knew those neat driving gloves were made from rat leather, it'd ruin an industry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back