Anyone else having trouble finding Chevron 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last month in the Biddeford, ME Walmart they were clearancing the Chevron Supreme at $.90/qt. Bought them out of 5w30 but left the remaining 10w30 on the shelf. Might still be there.
smile.gif

It's not just because I have a shrine full of 10w30; I can get havoline on sale once in a while and 5w30 disappears the minute these sales start.

Sorry guys, been away for a couple days. No there's no Costco around here nor O'Rielly's, nor Kragan's, just wally world (which I despise) and Tractor Supply. Actually the guy at the service station went to Tractor Supply to get some while I made a short trip to McDonald's for a salad. He had no luck, they were all sold out. None of this weight at WalMart either, just 10-30 and 10-40. And no, the owners manual does NOT give me the leeway to go to 10-30 in the summer, just 5-30 year 'round. I suppose I'll make the leap to Havoline, but still am reluctant. If the oils are the same there should be plenty of both around for sale. I am also not too hot on "reporting" this guy to Chevron. He said they are just slow getting that grade to him, so he's really tried. I just don't think Chevron wants to market that grade for some reason. At any rate I need to rethink the oil for this 5.3 Vortec after reading the post about the other GM standard concerning cold pumpability (GM-9426?). Would anyone care to suggest an oil that meets this standard that is NOT synthetic, and is as good as Chevron Supreme in a 5W-30 weight?

JohnnyG, I can understand why you wouldn't want to "tell" on this guy.

I really wouldn't worry about using 10W30 in the dead of summer in Ohio. Very little difference between it and 5W30 in warm weather ... except it may stay in grade longer.

My second choice after Chevron/Havoline in mineral oils is Pennzoil.

--- Bror Jace

Here in Pennsylvania there is a chain of auto stores called National Auto Stores. The local one in Gilbertsville has a ton of shelf space dedicated to Chevron products and Havoline. I usually do not go there as the Chevron Supreme is 1.39 per quart. I can get Havoline at the local dollar store for a buck. If I thought that there was a difference in performance, I would pay the extra pennies to get the Chevron. Check to see if there are any of these stores in Ohio and you could hit the jackpot...
cheers.gif

I've never seen the Chevron 5W-30 in this area, and the only place that has the 10W-30 is a local BP station. It's over $2 a quart there so when I want a quality dino oil I buy Pennzoil at Walmart...

After several months of observation, I'm about to conclude Chevron/Texaco is slowly phasing in a branding strategy whereby Supreme will be replaced by Havoline. At least at WalMart.

I have sporadically seen Chevron Supreme at my local WalMart here in Central Texas about 80 miles NW of Houston. Now there is none, but there is plenty of Havoline.

The WalMart in my wife's hometown of Orange, TX, which is about as far SE in Texas as you can get, stocked plenty of Supreme in all grades as recently as 6 months ago. When I went there to see the inlaws at Easter I specifically went by the Wal-Mart to buy a couple of cases of the Supreme....but there was none in sight. Not one bottle. Only Havoline.

cheeks, I came to the same conclusion about 2 years ago, some time after the merger/aquisition went through. It occurred to me after the local Walmarts failed to restock these oils.

However, I was mistaken. As it turned out, it was merely a glitch in Walmart's stocking. It took some time, but the shelves eventually were restocked and I've even seen some of the newest bottles which have gold lettering instead of silver ... batches bottled in February of '04.

Maybe you are right ... but only time will tell.

--- Bror Jace

I noticed this oddity last night in the Pensacola FL (Creighton) SuperWalmart: The wall of oil, which is in the far right back corner of the store, looked normal. Out of curiosity (from this thread), I looked for the Chev Supreme. It wasn't there (Delo was). But it WAS in what appeared to be in a specialty section, in the first aisle, across from the wall of filters, next to the two stroke oils. As first I thought it must be something else, but no, it was the current Chev Supreme, in 5w-30, and 10w-30. Hmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back