Anyone else having trouble finding Chevron 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went down to my local Chevron Station, which sorta specializes in oil changes. I figure, hey I get an oil change w/ Chevron Supreme for under $20.00 and all is right with the world. This particular dealer (with the Chevron sign hanging out front) does most oil changes with Valvoline oil! Go figure. Anyway, while I was using 10W-30, no problem. Problem comes when I get a 2004 Silverado that calls for 5W-30. This guy never has the stuff! Says Chevron is slow getting it to him. Last time I went in he went to two "retail" outlets to try to find it for me while I went to lunch. No luck! Anyone else using this stuff or having trouble finding it? I'll prob. change to Havoline if this continues, but I don't really want to.

I have NEVER seen 5w-30. Yesterday was the first time I had ever seen straight 30wt. Even the big Chevron Gas station only has 10w-30.
dunno.gif

I don't know if you have the Chevron gas stations there, but I believe I remember seeing it at a station here. I think they carried nearly the whole line. It was a little more expensive though, like $1.75/quart.

Haven't been filling up at Chevron for a while and haven't paid much attention to what is on the rack. But the 5w-30 should be very common to find. I've seen it at Kragen. Also Costco sells it by the case. Maybe Autozone or Pepboys carry it too.

Does your owner's manual state that 10w30 is an alternative in temps above 0F? That is what it states in our '03 Cavlier manual. If so I would use 10w30 until cool weather hits again and maybe by then you will find the 5w30. Otherwise use the Havoline, its so close to Supreme that it's splitting hairs.

This is why I grit my teeth and paid Wal-Mart $8.49 for 5 quarts of Penzoil 5W-30. I can always find what i want. Hope my son in law comes up with some of that $.89 quart stuff at pep boys' for me.

I don't know if you have Checker Auto Parts Stores in your area, but that is where I found Chevron oil. There also used to be a auto service place in this area that used Chevron oil, but they moved and I don't know where they are located or if they are even still in business.

You can also see if there is a Chevron distributor in your area. Check the telephone book.

If you can't find Chevron, Halvoline is supposed to be perhaps the same oil. Also, Pennzoil and Castrol have tested well.

Chevron 5w-30 is extremely hard to come by in NJ. I haven't seen 5w-30 in any store since I purchased some about 8 months ago.

Havoline is pretty much the same oil so I've switched to it. Thoughts are the Chevron brand will be marketed mostly in the west and the Havoline brand more out east.

My local Checker Auto Parts has Chevron 5W-30 and 10W-30 by the case. Plus, this week there is a sale where you can get a quart for $.99 and $.69 after a mail-in rebate. Can't do any better for such a good oil.

Do you have Costco warehouse stores there? The ones around here stock Chevron Supreme in 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and sometimes straight 30 weight.

John

I have never seen Chevron 5W30 in the DC metro area period.My closest Walmart stopped carrying Chevron all together(10W30,10W40)and opened up more space for Havoline.

quote:

Originally posted by andyfish:
Chevron is no longer sold at our local Walmart...Plenty of Havoline however.

Same here. You MAY find the odd quart of 10w-40 but even those are pretty much gone now. As long as they maintain stock on Havoline I'm happy. I don't understand why my Wally World doesn't include 5w-20 in their Havoline stock. The only 5w-20 they carry as Motorcraft, Pennzoil (almost never in stock) and Castrol GTX.

JohnnyG, first off, I'd report that local service station. Send an e-mail to Chevron telling them what you encountered. They should know that they have weak links in their distribution system. Their response might even be interesting.

I find Chevron in WalMarts around here. Coverage was spotty but I visit a handful of stores over the course of 1-2 months and would pick up both 5W30 and 10W30 when I found it. In the last 6-8 months they've been better at stocking their shelves and the hard-to-find 5W30 is almost as easy to find as 10W30.

But I'm all stocked up right now with about 15 quarts for Dad's Mercury.
dunno.gif

You could always check your yellow pages and find a local Chevron distributor. We have one in Scotia, NY and I plan to visit him some day but it's 40 miles across town and I haven't got there yet.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

cool.gif
Local Wally-Worlds are the only places here with Chevron and I only see it in 10w-30 and 10w-40. Everybody here at BITOG says Havoline is the same and there's not much difference in the price anyway. For .20/qt I don't give a hoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back