anyone dyno a Baldwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my own tests, the Baldwin flowed just about like any other fiberous filter. Of course, no filter really impeded flow much at all when you get down to it. Some were better, and some were worse, but in the end, the difference was usually a small fraction of a psi.

In a recent test on miata.net the Baldwin flowed less than the OEM or the Napa Gold. For Flow the Napa Gold beat all the paper filters. It improved my milage by 4mpg over EOM and this test showed that it flowed better. Of course the K&N flowed even more but there was not as much difference as you would expect. The K&N did not filter as well as the paper filters in this test.
All the paper filters where so close in filter ability it was hard to pick a winner.

First I do not belive that any filter is going to have an impact on MPG and definately not 4 MPG!! 4MPG is such a huge improvement that OEM's would run with out a filter if it gained them that much in MPG!!! Second I am kind of interested in how one determinded the flow inside the block of a running engine. PSI is not an indicator of flow and the psi guages in the cluster are not accurate enough to detect suptly changes. Most OEM cluster oil pressure guages do not even read real time information. You would have to know pump displacment, total engine oil circuit volume, time for one complete cycle and oil pressure to mathmaticly calculate it I belive. Once you knew this the best method would be to calibrate hot wire elements and measure the voltage needed to maintain temp or install a high temp flow meter.

i think with some cars, there are differnt outcomes. like someone said baldwin compared to oem, oem flowed more. in my outcome, off the line i knew baldwin flowed more. i dont know about spending 50 bucks for a dyno.

i wonder if baldwin makes a cone filter...im working on a custom intake system, 2 stage if i have more time.

anthonyS thanks, i recieved the email.

I'm wondering if the filter used on Miata.net was a Baldwin or a "Made in Korea" baldwin. I know my Protege Baldwin is a "Made in Korea" baldwin and I do not know if Baldwin manufactures it or if it is made for Baldwin by a Korean manufacturer.

mine was made in israel. his filter was red...made me question it too..you should email him, he takes his time with people.

The test referred to at miata.net was my test. I'll say confidently based on my flow testing there is no way an air filter will give you 4 mpg, unless you are replacing a very used one that is severely clogged. All the filters I tested were new.

If it really matters, this particular Baldwin filter said made in Israel.

thanks for the input man. once again thanks for sheading some light on these filters. too bad you dont live near me, hehe.

John Browning- If you don't want to believe it that is fine.
rolleyes.gif
I tested it over several tanks of gas and replaced the Napa Gold with the OEM and back to the Napa Gold several times. It would drop immediately with the OEM and go up immediately with the Napa Gold. Both were new filters with
less than 1000 miles.
27 with OEM and 31 With Napa Gold several times.
OEM had 40 pleats Napa Gold 61 pleats.
The NAPA GOLD even makes a different sound ie louder air flow.
grin.gif

[ September 10, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: TR3-2001SE ]

im going to get this gtech pro...it measures power...im going to compare the baldwin to the fram to see if there is an actual differnce...iono if its going to be accurate...but heck, its worth a shot.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
im going to get this gtech pro...it measures power...im going to compare the baldwin to the fram to see if there is an actual differnce...iono if its going to be accurate...but heck, its worth a shot.

Do 4+ runs to verify the number and to eliminate data scatter. If you get one really wierd number, do it a couple of more times.

I don't want to get into a discussion of normal statistical causes of variation, and abnormal causes or external causes of variation. Let's just say you have to do it at least 4 times to be sure, and that doing it 10 times won't yield a big improvement over 4.

I'll also go out on a limb up front and say you won't see any significant power change, and you probably won't even be able to determine if there were indeed any change.

i highly am sure i WONT see a change..but its worth a shot. im going to do 10 runs with this. there are alot of things that can affect it as well, lol something i dont want to get into either, that gives me a headaqe. but give me till next week and ill report in.

even if i dyno it...it doesnt mean much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back