Anyone drive a 09-12 Avalanche?? Comments!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found me a nice 2009 Avalanche LTZ 4x2 that I should be getting around the end of next week. It has 44k and comes GM certified. Does anyone have any comments/advice or things to watch out for on it?? It's pretty well loaded up on options. What kind of real world highway mpg can you get if you drive reasonable??

Does this generation have problems with the black rear plastic area chalking and turning white? If so what is the best treatment to keep it nice and black.

Is there any issues with leaks with the rear window and pass through area??

I've always ran PP or Mobil 1 5w30 in my 5.3 Silverado. Is this still a good choice for this one??

Oh and it has navigation. Does the rear image show up on the nav screen and the mirror, or just the nav screen??

Really looking forward to getting it. Its 1000 miles away so it should be a nice drive. Tom

5.3 engine gets oil change every 4k, no matter what oil you use unless you want probs with AFM.

Avalanche is a good truck. I think the image only shows in the nav screen. A good protectant and keeping wax off of the black plastic keeps it nice and black.

I don't have any experience with the current generation, but my neighbor has an '05 Escalade EXT. He has never had any issues with the Midgate, but it doesn't get opened up very often either. I think his truck has the 6.0 and it runs great. The only problem I know of with it is that the button for the power folding mirrors broke.

For the plastic, I would use 303 Protectant. Also, Honda dealers sell a rubber and vinyl protectant that works great. I would avoid Armorall and other overly slimy protectants.

At a fuelup last summer, I overheard a discussion between the Avalanche couple (early 40's I'd guess) and the Tundra owner behind them. The Avalanche wife said the thing was a complete POS being in the shop every other blink. Just her opinion and experience I guess. The hubby remained silent.

The only vehicle I can think of named for a natural disaster (unless one considers a Typhoon or a Hurricane to be a disaster)...

What about the new EARTHQUAKE or TSUNAMI?

The MUDSLIDE. A SINKHOLE?

What about the new SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION?

Cheers!

p.s. I think it a much better design than the Blazer replacement with the roll-back roof...

Tom if the price is right go for it. Also if you are financing check on the price of 12 Avalanche often around here at least the price is within 4K for a 09 model used and a 12 model new.

Another word of advice is check the reliability of Tahoe/Suburbans there is not a lot of difference between the three and according to GM 2013 will be the last year for the avalanche.

If you have the rear camera option, it will display in the NAV radio screen. Models w/o NAV had the display in the rear view mirror.

The 4k mile oil change for the AFM comment is complete [censored].

The plastic holds up much better than the very early old bodystyle models did. The recommendation of a good protectant and keep the wax off is sound advice.

Water leaks are not a highly reported issue.

The comment to compare pricing between a new 12 and the used 09 is good advice also...and yes 2013 is the last year for the Avalance and Escalade EXT models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back