Anyone downsized from a big house to a much smaller one with success?

I think downsizing when you retire might be reasonable. Enough room for visits by kids and grandkids but not huge rooms for each kid like when they were 12 or 15. The china you have been saving to give to your daughters, they don't want it. Nor half the other stuff your saving for them. People moving from a house with a basement to one with only a crawlspace are in trouble unless they downsize the stuff they bring to the new house. (Except you cannot downsize your tool boxes of course).

We downsized a few years ago from a 2300sf house to a 1200sf house. Since it is just two of us the space is fine.

The trend going forward will be smaller homes. As utility prices continue to rise homeowners will want smaller homes that cost less to heat and cool and keep lit up at night.
I think it "depends". The trend would likely be more space for work from home but less space for a separate "living" and "family" room that most people only use one but not the other. Lifestyle has changed and we are now living differently with work from home and things done on a screen.

Kids are gone and Wife is already retired. We went from a 2500sf two story house to a 1200sf. Best thing we ever did. Plenty of room for the two of us. Upkeep is next to nothing. It freed up a ton of time for me. We are planning on moving again when I retire to be closer to the grand kids.

Reactions: GON
I think it "depends". The trend would likely be more space for work from home but less space for a separate "living" and "family" room that most people only use one but not the other. Lifestyle has changed and we are now living differently with work from home and things done on a screen.
I think with more people working at home now having a room or two for office space is going to be a good selling feature. Our place is without an extra bedroom for an office so its been feeling smaller than it is lately. If I were to build again I'd add an office and heated workshop!

Actually no, went the other way after retirement. Had built a home up north 15yrs before retiring, just too small, felt like we were tripping over each other in the winter months. Ended up building another one much larger…

Depending on how your taxes are figured , a smaller home could equal a significant savings on your tax bill . Insurance as well . That being said , storage is a key feature that we all require . Look for low maintenance materials like brick , vinyl soffit , minimal landscaping and a flat , open yard that you can zip around on your mower and knock it out with minimal trimming .

Reactions: GON
Our property taxes on a 6000 sq ft home keep going up and up. I love having all the space, and we do not have a mortgage. It will be the taxes that eventually do us in and make us move.

Our property taxes on a 6000 sq ft home keep going up and up. I love having all the space, and we do not have a mortgage. It will be the taxes that eventually do us in and make us move.
That is a shame being that you are in the Midwest. Thought only Illinois had the high and rising property taxes in the Midwest.

Back