Anyone does 7K-8K OCIs on conventional?

Has anyone run conventional oil for 7K-8K OCIs regularly?
Planning to run Chevron Supreme in a GM Ecotec NA 1.4L, non DI, non turbocharged engine for 7K-8K OCIs. (The engine is also used in the Equinox, Malibu and Cruze but in a more advanced setup, DI and turborcharged)
Not sure how demanding is the GM engine when it comes to oil.

No, not when cheap synthetic is so available. Personally I like the 5k OCI, stupid easy to do, and lines up with tire rotation time (for me, YMMV). Maybe I'd change my mind if I had an OLM, not sure.

Nope I'd never do it.

My first car was a 75' Malibu with a 350 engine.
I was using Havoline oil back then. I'd always change the oil at 3000 miles.

We lost track of how many miles that car had on it,so it was taken care of.

Depends on the duty cycle. If driving 70 miles to work each day, I'm sure it would be not a stretch.

What does the manual say the OCI is?

Has anyone run conventional oil for 7K-8K OCIs regularly?
Planning to run Chevron Supreme in a GM Ecotec NA 1.4L, non DI, non turbocharged engine for 7K-8K OCIs. (The engine is also used in the Equinox, Malibu and Cruze but in a more advanced setup, DI and turborcharged)
Not sure how demanding is the GM engine when it comes to oil.

What's the car? If the car has an OLM and assumes the old 6094M spec (conventional spec), I'd be comfortable running it to the OLM distance which could be around 7-8k. If the car is newer and assumes Dexos spec, I wouldn't run Chevron Supreme for that long (maybe 5k, knowing that it doesn't meet spec in that case). It's good oil, and I'd gladly use it, but it really depends on how you use the car (short trips? all highway?) and where you are (short trips in Fargo or highway driving in Florida).

Nissans and Hondas from 15 years ago were doing this per the manual or the MM (Honda). They say nothing about using synthetic blend nor synthetic oils either. Personally, I see little point in buying conventional when synthetic is soooo inexpensive.

When my dad drove a fleet vehicle, it was a 2010 Ford Escape with the 4 cylinder I believe, the company did oil changes every 7500mi, and I'm pretty sure it was only conventional, although he put like 100,000 miles on the car in 2 years, so it was pretty much all highway driving and the oil was change like every 2 months or so.

Car is a Chevy Spark. They only come with GMs latest small gas engines, which is a 1.4L NA, non DI, non turbocharged engine.
Synthethic is cheap in the states, here the cheapest "Full synthethic" (Per the bottle label) is at least $13 US or more + tax for the cheaper brands but i can get Chevron Supreme dirt cheap. Manual calls for DEXOS 0W-20 oil.
Usual commute is around 13 miles each way and every day or so i do some errands during the day which adds like 5 - 10 miles.
Not sure what spec the OLM is based on but as far as i can tell, it will reach 0% when i reach 7K to 8K miles.
All the miles are done in city driving, A LOT of stop and go, heavy traffic and prolonged idling.

I previously owned a sub compact city car from a Korean brand which you dont get in the states (Kia Picanto) and did the same OCIs but i drove the morning commute all highway which i wont be doing this time. After a couple years, the engine was running perfectly fine, engine looked fine from the oil fill port and i had no mechanical issues AFAIK but i knew that car was quite good mechanically since lots of people buy them and they are abused.

Last edited:
The smaller the engine and/or the sump size, the better the oil and/or the shorter the oci.

You would also have to consider the source of the info. Majority if not all bitog members should have very clean engines.

Is there a significant difference between a very clean engine and a clean engine and somewhat clean and kind of clean or an ok engine ...?
That's the real question.

Last edited:
I ran a 7.5k mile OCI with conventional (dealer oil - likely Castrol) on a 2006 Volvo S60 2.5T. After 13 years and 155K miles, it started burning a quart every 3K miles, which wasn't bad at all. Only got rid of it after a deer smashed itself headfirst into the driver's side rear door. Car always ran like a charm, though I always drove it gently and never, ever beat on it. Here's the best part - I never changed the tranny fluid either! Those Aisin's are near indestructible. Anyhow, when I did ask the dealer service department to change the tranny fluid at around 50k miles, the service manager warned me not to ever touch it. So I dodged that bullet too. Great car, sorry it had to go.

Back