Anyone Change Too Often?

For a brand new vehicle, although the manufacturers often state to just fall into to the regular cycle of changes per schedule, (often 7-10K miles), I always sneak in an extra change within the first 5,000 miles, maybe less. While no scientific proof, logic tells me that this would be the bedding in period when all the parts start to "sing" together, so the engine is at its tightest with the most stress on both parts and the oil. I know, old school thinking, but based on my experience I am willing to pay for an extra oil change and filter to (hopefully) maximize longevity. I keep my vehicles as long as possible and then donate them. If you sell your new vehicle after only a few years I would completely understand not undertaking this practice.

Of course, be sure to meet the manufacturers recommended oil spec and filter when doing so to remain compliant with any warranty issues.

For a brand new vehicle, although the manufacturers often state to just fall into to the regular cycle of changes per schedule, (often 7-10K miles), I always sneak in an extra change within the first 5,000 miles, maybe less. While no scientific proof, logic tells me that this would be the bedding in period when all the parts start to "sing" together, so the engine is at its tightest with the most stress on both parts and the oil. I know, old school thinking, but based on my experience I am willing to pay for an extra oil change and filter to (hopefully) maximize longevity. I keep my vehicles as long as possible and then donate them. If you sell your new vehicle after only a few years I would completely understand not undertaking this practice.

Of course, be sure to meet the manufacturers recommended oil spec and filter when doing so to remain compliant with any warranty issues.
It's not a brand new vehicle ...

I got a new old truck a few weeks ago and am trying to figure out what oil it runs best on. It has only been 2 weeks since the first change but I want to try a thinner weight. Every day I convince myself to wait even though changing it now seems like fun.

When you experiment with a new car do you change oil whenever you feel like it? I really don't want to waste perfectly good oil after only a few weeks. At the same time, I don't want to wait a full year to try something else.
A couple of short oil changes will get more of the old, unknown gunk out. I did this once on a used car with oil analysis before and after and the wear metals went down significantly. I did three UOAs on the car after buying it, with normal oil change intervals. Iron was averaging 17ppm over 4500 miles. I then did a 30 mile oil change, followed by a normal oil change. Over the last two oil changes iron has been at 8ppm over 4750 miles. Likely, iron would've gone down to that eventually over several more oil changes, but I sped the process up with that 30 mile "flush".

I thought about this and cleaner oil provides more protection. Having said that I could change every 3.5K and still beat the price of the dealerships. But the fact is I change at 5 to 7K. Better protection and a whole lot cheaper and the job is done right!

Most of BITOG users have COCD ( Compulsive Oil Change Disorder ) including me.

Many times i've dumped oil that only had a few hundred miles on it just because i wanted to try a different oil that caught my attention.
Well I can’t say I’ve done it many times but I did go around 3000 miles on Amsoil and dumped it for another oil. But to be fair, that was back when I still believed in the 3K/3 month thing.

When I buy a new vehicle, I change the oil and filter as soon as I drive it home from the dealer, then again 500 miles later, then assume a 5K change interval with synthetics until my oil analysis reports say I can go longer for my driving habits. I still stick with 5k but it is nice to know how long you CAN go if you had to make an unexpected longer trip while close to the end miles or the weather was terrible (change my own outside) etc.

Most of BITOG users have COCD ( Compulsive Oil Change Disorder ) including me.

Many times i've dumped oil that only had a few hundred miles on it just because i wanted to try a different oil that caught my attention.
And what difference has that made in your life?

I thought about this and cleaner oil provides more protection. Having said that I could change every 3.5K and still beat the price of the dealerships. But the fact is I change at 5 to 7K. Better protection and a whole lot cheaper and the job is done right!

Yep and it’s really easy to do on the Mazda.

On a new "used" vehicle I check the oil color from the dipstick and if needed use a short interval or two to get to a 5,000 mile interval on the odometer. After that it is oil and filter at 5k intervals.

How does that make any sense? How does jealousy pertain to oil changes. That's so far out of the realm of being totally unrelated. Who would even make such a correlation? Wow!
How does claiming your vehicle runs better " with a seat of your pants" test with different oil brands make any sense? Yet that claim is made on here.

When I buy a new vehicle, I change the oil and filter as soon as I drive it home from the dealer, then again 500 miles later, then assume a 5K change interval with synthetics until my oil analysis reports say I can go longer for my driving habits. I still stick with 5k but it is nice to know how long you CAN go if you had to make an unexpected longer trip while close to the end miles or the weather was terrible (change my own outside) etc.
Yes and we are all very impressed and glad to know that little tidbit.

Back