Anyone change there Amsoil at 25k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just curious, as I seem to be one of the strongest believers in extended drains here, i have never run my oil past 12k. (mobil 1)

Has anyone used Amsoil to its recommended intervals? If so, how is it going?

I'll have a 18k mile UOA on my Amsoil equipped van in about 2 weeks. At the 12k mark , the oil was doing very well. Please note though that this is 1200-1500 miles/week, 99% hiway driving with a by-pass filter. I'm confident it'll go 25k and beyond.

In contrast, my Pontiac Vibe with the same setup destroyed the oil in 12k, mainly because it's driven at low speeds in stop and go traffic.

IMO, if you want to exceed 10-12k you must have a bypass filter and do regular UOA's. Otherwise it's too big of a risk.

quote:

Thanks for the information. I find it very odd that Amsoil states with confidence that you can run there oil 25k with regular oil filters, and do not state any dirving conditions. Also, some cars beat up the oil much worse then others. This 25k sales tactic is really not in the best interest of ANY motorist.

Amsoil does qualify the OCI for high performance, turbo, diesel engines, etc., but you're right for gas-engined passenger cars, that is the "recommendation." I'd be interested to see the engine wear on an AMSOIL'd car going the 25K (with 2 Amsoil filter changes) versus a car using a Group I base oil and economy filters changed every 3K. Honestly not sure which I'd put my money on. (although today's Gr. I's are pretty good, to be sure).

I kind-of remember the original Popular Science (?) Mobil 1 article and I think they ran a 50K test where the Mobil 1 showed less wear v. 5K dino oil changes. Uh, at least I think it was a 5K OCI!

I'm no Amsoil apologist, but I do have to say that I don't see how you could amass 25K miles a year under "severe" conditions in a normal 'daily driver' type application. It would have to be lots of steady-state highway trips, which as we know are kind to your oil. Now a taxi cab or delivery vehicle or whatever that's probably a different story.

Most people on here who've run the oil for a year (whatever number of miles) have gotten decent enough results. Big Al's standard for "decent enough results" are likely to be different than a BITOGer's of course
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jbas:
I'd be interested to see the engine wear on an AMSOIL'd car going the 25K (with 2 Amsoil filter changes) versus a car using a Group I base oil and economy filters changed every 3K. Honestly not sure which I'd put my money on. (although today's Gr. I's are pretty good, to be sure).
This is exactly what I have always been looking for. I am a happy Amsoil user, but I still want to see some facts, like how well does the oil protect with 25K of wear on it. I would love to see the 4-ball wear test with this used oil. Comparing new oil only says so much.

One good thing is from the UOAs I've seen, it does seem to hold up well. I have never seen a UOA with 12 months and a lot of miles, like over 15k-20k.

I just sent off my UOA sample which is S2K with had 12,000 miles on it and was in use for 15 months in my Grand AM Quad 4. We'll see how she does...
wink.gif

Red Wolf, I had a 1993 Chevy Van 350 V-8 in it. I put Ams/Oil in it at 400 miles. I also added the dual remote filtration system. I changed the full flow filter every 6 months, did a oil analysis at 12 months and changed both filters and topped off oil after results were in.
The bottom line was this... I sold that van with 153,000 miles on it in 2002 and the drain plug was never out of it since 400 miles! Most of those miles were put on in the hot Texas heat.

quote:

Originally posted by TDI's RULE:
Red Wolf, I had a 1993 Chevy Van 350 V-8 in it. I put Ams/Oil in it at 400 miles. I also added the dual remote filtration system. I changed the full flow filter every 6 months, did a oil analysis at 12 months and changed both filters and topped off oil after results were in.
The bottom line was this... I sold that van with 153,000 miles on it in 2002 and the drain plug was never out of it since 400 miles! Most of those miles were put on in the hot Texas heat.

LMAO, did you tell the guy you sold it to about that?
twak.gif

Thanks for the information. I find it very odd that Amsoil states with confidence that you can run there oil 25k with regular oil filters, and do not state any dirving conditions. Also, some cars beat up the oil much worse then others. This 25k sales tactic is really not in the best interest of ANY motorist.

I will stick with M1, who plays it safe, and continue to drain my oil every 7500 miles on my 03 2.2L Ecotec, and every 10k on my 87' toyota 4x4.

Thanks for the info.

I did approx. 14,000 mile intervals (1 year) on a '99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 engine. Changed the filter at 6 months and used Amsoil filters and 10W-30 oil. Basically I did it exactly the way Amsoil recommends to do it. No problems and the engine was very clean. Don't think I would ever go 25,000 miles, though.
cheers.gif

Yes, I ran the 10W40 products to 25,800 in my 1985 BMW 528e that had 200K miles on the clock. I did change Amsoil SDF full flow filters at 7500 and the car used up one quart between filter changes. I also confirmed all results with Oil Analyzers UOA. This worked fine but the fact that this car used a little oil allowed me to refresh the additives fairly frwquently with make up oil.

Having said that my newer Corwn victoria eats up the oil in about 15,000 miles under the same routine.

I have a customer who runs his oil 25000 without UOA which I think is a mistake. All cars are different and I think Amsoil should ake some qualifying ststements to this effect.

Don

quote:

This is exactly what I have always been looking for. I am a happy Amsoil user, but I still want to see some facts, like how well does the oil protect with 25K of wear on it. I would love to see the 4-ball wear test with this used oil.

We can appeal to Caesar ("Too Slick"), he knows more about Amsoil than Amsoil. If that info is out there, he'll know...

I went 20K in my Volvo 855. The oil was in good shape and the wear certainly was not high or even higher than wasting petro oil every 3K. The results are posted here or are available at 3MP's site under lab comparison.

I believe that many just read Amsoil 25K and laugh or take it for granted or whatever. There are caveats, and responsible dealers will work with customers....I don't think I have ever sold oil not knowing the vehicle, climate, driving style, etc. I RARELY if ever have told a customer to just go XX,XXX miles.......

quote:

Originally posted by EmbarkChief:

quote:

twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by EmbarkChief:

quote:

twak.gif

EmbarkChief, of course I told him! And he got the maintainance log and all original receipts with his purchase.

quote:

I find it very odd that Amsoil states with confidence that you can run there oil 25k with regular oil filters, and do not state any dirving conditions. Also, some cars beat up the oil much worse then others. This 25k sales tactic is really not in the best interest of ANY motorist.

Actually, Amsoil states 25,000 miles or 1 year, whichever first, changing Amsoil filters at 12,500 miles or 6 months, whichever first. This is for normal, gasoline engine vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back