Anyone bring their own oil & filter to an oil change establishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought mine to a locally owned Chevron station and was charged $15 for labor.

How much do you pay if you bring your own oil & filter?

Depending on who is changing it, it may not be worth it.
I just started getting service at a local indy in our area. They charge $15 for an oil and filter change which includes a Carquest Blue(WIX premium) and valvoline dino SM oil.
If the price is right and quality good, why bother?

quote:

I brought mine to a locally owned Chevron station and was charged $15 for labor.

How much do you pay if you bring your own oil & filter?

Within the past few months I experienced a high quality of service at local major Ford dealer during manufacturer sponsored recall maintenance.

Later, because of that satisfactory experience I took my car back to that dealer for an oil and filter change. I supplied oil and filter (Mobil 1 and Amsoil EA) because they supply only Motorcraft oil and filters. Dealer labour charge was similar to yours.

[ February 12, 2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Iain ]

I think $15 is very fair considering, car on rack, raise car,move drain container under car, unscrew drain plug and drain oil, lower car, go inside & unlocok hood, raise hood, remove fill cap,put funnel in fill hole, open 4-6 quarts of oil and put in engine,replace oil cap, start engine, check for leaks, stop engine, check level, drive car to parking lot. MY CONCERN IS- IF YOU BRING IN $5.00 A QUART OIL IS THAT WHAT YOUR ENGINE WILL GET? Other have mentioned that if your not watching the work being done that some might be tempted to keep your expensive oil and put in their bulk oil.

Eddie,

I'm not complaining about the $15 labor charge just curious what other who bring their on oil get charged.

BTW, at the Chevron open bay station I can watch to make sure they are putting in what I gave them as long as I stand outside.

I'm with Auto-Union. I bring my oil/filter to the local shop($20) only because they dont offer synthetic oil or pureone (synthetic media) filters. If im not stocked up I end up going to Pep boys for my changes.

I provide this service for customers all the time. Have been charging $8.50 for several years.

As many varieties of oil as we have now I expect to see much more of this. High mileage, blends,truck&suv, etc. I can't (won't) stock them all so for folks who want to use specialty oils I'd rather just provide labor and the customer provide his/her favorite poison!

Bob

I've done this with Mom's Mercury for years now. The local Chevron station used to charge $10, the most recent change(last month) they had gone up to $15. I don't mind, also gives me a chance to walk under the car & look for trouble. Of course, my family has bought gas there since 1957!

They recently went back to using only Motorcraft filters on 4.6 FoMoCo V-8's, so this coming May or November I'll probably just use their oil & filter.

If someone comes to me with their own oil and filter I charge them 1/2 hr labour,if they bleat about it I may charge more.Part of the profit I make out of a Lube is made on the oil and filter,to do it for the same labour cost means I'm getting less money.They are usualy supplying their own oil and filter to get a cheaper deal - tough,I don't work for nothing mate....go and find someone who does.

The shop down the street will do the change for $10 for me (my oil, my filter). I only use them when it is very cold. It's worth it when it is 15" outside.
JKH

I so hate the pressure those guys put on you to do tranny flushes, coolant flushes, brake fluid exchanges, fuel injector cleans, air cleaner replacements, the list goes on and on and they keep hounding you.

You have to practice the word NO 20 times just to get out of there with a 25 dollar oil change and hope they didn't screw up your car on purpose or on accident

I BYO oil to the Audi dealer. Funny, they actually take an interest in my unique oil. (GC!) At WalMart, I have to BYO filter. At my mechanic, I BYO oil too. I would never BYO anywhere to save money, shops hate that. BYO oil is ok when you need to use something special, that they don't offer. Use that option sparingly, imo.

I would love to see a place where i could rent a lift to work on my own car. I know they exist, but not in my area (that i know of). So many things i would love to do myself IF i had a nice lift to put my car on.

If i win the lotto, i'm having one installed in my house (I'll have to buy the house with lotto winnings too).

I bring my own Red Line to an independant oil change place. Twice I have had Red Line go out of viscosity spec at the next OCI. Now I watch them change the oil and make sure that they use only RL. They did ask to keep the empty bottles and I said it was OK. I later realized that they were probably selling cheap motor oil to others in my empty RL bottles. I now demand the return of my empty bottles. I bring a K&N or a WIX Gold filter. I would use their oil if it was a brand I like. Most places are happy to use your Red Line. It is perceived as an upscale product. Mechanics are not kind if you are seen as a cheapskate.

My Nissan Dealership did not carry syn oil, I asked them if I could bring in my own syn oil, they agreed, I gladly bought the Nissan filter from them, they charged me the regular $27.00 (Canadian funds) dino OC cost subtract cost of their house dino oil. They did not see me as a cheapskate putting a higher grade oil (triple price) in my Nissan.

Cyprs

To AcuraSLX: I would find another place. Anyone willing to do what you suspect can find other ways to "get you" I was watching while getting a new set of tires installed at a major chain. The tire change person stuck a box cutter into one of my CV joint boots. I saw it from 10 foot away when he thought I was not looking. He said to me that I had a leak in a CV joint that must be fixed ASAP and the shop could do it now as they had time. They did fix it after we had a talk with the store manager and guess what? They did it free as I watched carefully. So find another shop. JME Ed

I work in parts at a Chevy dealer, we prefer that if someone wants something other than our Mobil Clean 5W30 or Mobil 1 (way over priced, our distributor charges us more than the Wal*Mart retail price for Mobil 1) that they bring their own. If we have to get it from the parts store I guarantee it won't be much of a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back