Anyone bring their own fluids to the dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about this I guess.. I bring my vehicles to two different dealerships that will install whatever fluids I bring and just charge me the labor. I've brought anything from Amsoil ATF to Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 gear oil to Zerex G-05 coolant, and never had a problem.

Anyone else do this? Just curious if this is a common practice or unusual..

I pay about $14 for the OC labor, and typically I have them rotate the tires (vehicle's on the lift anyway) for another $20. So after tax, it's about $36 plus whatever my oil & filter costs are.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Here on bitog we live to change oil ourselves!

Amen
smile.gif

It's tough justifying doing it myself when they'll do it at the same time as the tire rotation very cheaply with whatever fluids I want. Otherwise, I would DIY.

At our Kia dealer, we have Castrol oil. Some folks don't like Castrol or have a fondness for another brand. We will just add their oil if they bring it along. We have no problem with it.

I bring my own oil. It really ticks off the assistant service manager. I get free oil changes and have a stockpile of PU SN so they can just tickle it.

some people use the stealer for oil changes while in warrantee and sometimes the dealer is pretty cheap with coupons as long as they are a little honest and not selling you things u dont need

After working at 5 different dealerships unless I was watching them pour the oil into my car I wouldn't trust them. Odds are the good oil goes into the tech's trunk and bulk oil goes into my car. No thanks I'll do it myself.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
After working at 5 different dealerships unless I was watching them pour the oil into my car I wouldn't trust them. Odds are the good oil goes into the tech's trunk and bulk oil goes into my car. No thanks I'll do it myself.

+1 to what he said.

+2 totally believable. Screw stealerships

Given the feedback, maybe I should change my typical scenario and either DIY or just use their fluids and pull the dipstick when work is completed.

Suspicious of my old dealer who were adamant about keeping customers in a waiting room so they couldn't see their vehicles being worked on. I will not go to a dealer with that attitude. Ed

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Just curious about this I guess.. I bring my vehicles to two different dealerships that will install whatever fluids I bring and just charge me the labor. I've brought anything from Amsoil ATF to Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 gear oil to Zerex G-05 coolant, and never had a problem.

Anyone else do this? Just curious if this is a common practice or unusual..

All the time. That way there is a dealer record of the work being done for warranty purposes yet I get to use the fluids and parts of my choice.

In these days of computer generated RO's, that's a lot tougher to do. The bulk oil would show on the ticket. Back in the 70's & 80's, I'm sure it happened. Most techs make so much money now, stealing customer oil is not a great career move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back