Anyone bring their own fluids to the dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Not the dealer I use nor some of the ones we have dealt with in the past. Not every dealership is a stealership.
They all peddle unnecessary services. Mine, I wouldn't call crooked, pushes 5K oil changes and ethanol treatments to name a couple. On E85 engine with IOLM that goes out to 10K.

No they don't. Not ALL.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
It all depends. BITOG members as a group are pretty paranoid and have major biases against certain things. Dealerships are one of them. Not all dealers are crooks.

I have had negative service department experiences at two dealerships I no longer utilize, and excellent service department experiences at the two dealerships I currently frequent (one Ford and one Chrysler). Every time I have brought in a fluid, I get whatever is left over back. And I've periodically checked filters, and the new one is always put on. I have no problem with DIY, but I like to support reputable local businesses when possible.

I have also found that the sales department of a dealership tends to be more generous with a customer who frequents the dealership's service department- an added bonus for repeat customers.

I get excellent service at the dealer I use as well. For $10 labor they change the oil using my parts but also do a thorough inspection, top off any fluids that are low, check and set the tire PSI, etc... They also dispose of the old oil and filter at no charge.

No upsell or trying to get me to do work that is not needed. They always treat me right and do an excellent job. I am in and out in about 20-30 minutes for an OC. Bump it to about an hour if they do a tire rotation as well( $15 ). Would take me longer in the driveway to setup, do the work, and then clean up after. Don't forget the time to take the old oil to the recycling location.

I get it that there are some bad dealers out there with incompetent and crooked employees. The same applies to any business out there. The dealer paranoia on BITOG however get a little crazy at times.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
What about a new vehicle that gets free oil changes for two years. We just bought the Frontier and we were given two years of free oil changes and tire rotations. I told my wife I wouldn't do this for several reasons: 1. Doing it myself is the one sure way I know it's done right. 2. It's fifty miles to this dealer, easily $15+ in gas to get there and back. 3. I use oil and filters that I want to use, I've got plenty on hand of each. 4. I know the tires are actually rotated. 5. Finally, being retired, it gives me something to do, which I actually enjoy, and I get a chance to see underneath the vehicle for any problems. Other than some simple warranty work done on the Xterra several years ago I can't speak to the business practices, good or bad, of this dealership. I may have too find out one day, but not anytime soon, I hope.

I was offered $8 oil changes and free NYS inspections for life when I bought my Jeep back in 07. It was back once for the free inspection to maintain the lifetime power train warranty. Even if the oil changes were free I wouldn't go back and have them do it. Bulk oil, a lousy job, having to bring it there and wait, and the up sell every chance they get, no thanks.

Yea. I took some flak from the Bride over this. "Why not get it since it's free". When I told her she was more than welcome to spend the better part of a day just getting a tire rotation and an oil change, and hope it was actually done, to knock herself out. I could do it all in an hour from the comfort of my own garage, equipped with all the necessary tools to make it a pleasurable use of my time and know it was done right. You guessed it, we won't be taking advantage of the free oil changes and tire rotations,

I hear ya, you're a man after my own heart. Years ago I had to have an oil pan gasket replaced under warranty. I had to drop it off and was told they had to order the gasket, while there I saw they had an $8 tire rotation. For $8, why roll out the jack and get dirty I said to myself. I took the van home made an appointment and brought it back. I also marked the tires and asked for the $8 rotation. When they called to tell me the work was done, [they had the van overnight], I checked to see if they rotated the tires and found it wasn't done. No big deal it could have been a mistake and they forgot, but it was on the R/O. I asked the service writer if it was done and he swore it was done, when I told him it wasn't he called over the tech who worked on the van. He also swore it was done. Bad move, I was hoping he'd say he forgot. Then I walked him and the service writer outside and showed them how I inconspicuously marked the tires. "Now what?" I said. They offered to do it, I demanded my $8 back. As a result not only did they lose me for warranty work, I bought another van from one of their competitors. The thought of going in for warranty work, or any work at a dealer sickens me.

If and when I find a dealer I can trust I might change my mind, it seems I might have to leave the state in order to do so.

I bring in 4 quarts in a 5-quart jug and ask for the empty jug's return, AND always us a different filter make so I can tell if it's been actually changed.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Just curious about this I guess.. I bring my vehicles to two different dealerships that will install whatever fluids I bring and just charge me the labor. I've brought anything from Amsoil ATF to Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 gear oil to Zerex G-05 coolant, and never had a problem.

Anyone else do this? Just curious if this is a common practice or unusual..

SwedishRider,

Just after I bought my 2001 Durango from Car Max I allowed them to handle me OCI's until I noticed the oil was always low so as a test I began to take then my own oil to use cuz I wanted to switch to synthetic anyway. Well after the service LOL but most angry they gave me back two quarts!!!!! I got furious to say the least cuz then it was most apparant all this time they did my OCI's they were only putting in 4 quarts of oil cuz they thought I had a six cylinder engine. [censored]????
In addition although I can't prove it I also suspect they were only changing my oil filter every other time I had the OCI service done. Since then I decided to have a Mopar dealership handle my services.

Durango

^where i used to work when an employee did an oil change he had to have another tech come over and verify the oil was full on the dipstick and then tha tech had to put his initials on the work order.

hard to believe that some places can get away with just putting in what they think the vehicle takes and never even check the oil level and send it on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back