Anyone avoiding Erythritol?

I have read several articles about Erythritol recently saying it might be linked to a higher chance a heart attack.

My nutritional doctor recommended Swerve sweetener which is Erythritol. Suggesting it has no negative side effects like other artificial sweeteners. Does not mess with blood sugar. No gas.

I emailed my cardiologist and asked and he said he has seen no substanted studies showing an increase in heart attacks.

I think if you click on an article of a certain topic in Google news soon you will see 10 other articles about the same topic and conclude the sky is falling.

I saw those same articles. I’m not sure whether it’s alarmist or based on facts. So many of these types of articles come out all the time. Black pepper causes cancer and then it doesn’t for example.

Monk fruit is a natural sweetener if you are looking for an alternative.

For medical reasons I am drinking a lot of beverages with this sweetener. I just emailed my cardiologist. I let you know his answer, usually he answers fast.

I can't hack artificial sweeteners, I don't even like honey. I started drinking flavored seltzer and cutting my juices in half with water as part of a weight loss plan. My current hydration is 2 qts of water with 4bags decaf green tea, 4 bags of lemon/lime tea, 3 bags of mint. Nuke for 10minutes. Drink when cool. YMMV :cool:

I don't eat anything regularly with artificial sweeteners and I never add sweeteners to anything. Out of curiosity what do you add sweetener to? Even my coffee is just a splash of 1/2 and 1/2.

One teaspoon of sugar has a little over 4g of carbs. You will burn 4 carbs by walking for two minutes (unless you are horribly insulin resistant or don't make any insulin). Don't put half a cup of sugar in your coffee like Klaus does.

Last edited:
We discussed it here, and even included a link (imagine that): https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/corn-syrup-solids.365575/page-2

I thought it might actually be the one safe substitute. BZZZZZZZT!!! Nope. Go sit down.

That industry the whole erythritol line up and down must be rocked.

Not going to defend it. Causation not linked yet, but still.

I said screw it. I don't want overly sweet anyway.

I personally don't use Erythritol instead I use aspartame, but I would like to see how risky it is compared to actual sugar.

I tried that some time ago and did not like the taste. I will stick with Splenda.
Splenda is kind of a family of sweeteners. The yellow box of Splenda is sucralose which has been shown to mess with blood sugar levels. So if blood sugar level is a concern then avoid the yellow box Splenda or sucralose.

Well most of the alcohol sugars can ferment in your digestive track causing gas. Erythritol does not ferment in your digestive track like other sugar alcohols.
Xylitol in chewing gum gets ingested in very small quantities. It's one case where I believe the dental health benefits may outweigh any potential negatives, although I've never noticed any side effects from xylitol or any other sugar alcohol. Other than xylitol in gum, I avoid all sugar alcohols.

I use a lot of aspartame in Crystal Light lemonade that I drink to help minimize kidney stones. The theory being that the potassium citrate in the lemonade mix raised the pH of my urine to dissolve and/or prevent formation of uric acid kidney stones.

For medical reasons I am drinking a lot of beverages with this sweetener. I just emailed my cardiologist. I let you know his answer, usually he answers fast.
Will be interested to know what your doctor says.

Most doctors hopefully are looking for causation.

When analysing the results from a trial it is important to remember that correlation is not the same thing as causation. Correlation is when two variables are linked in some way however this does not mean that one will cause the other. An example of this involves hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and coronary heart disease (CHD) where women taking HRT were at less risk from CHD. This however was not due to the actual HRT process but rather due to the fact that the group of people receiving HRT tended to belong to a higher socio-economic group, with better-than-average diet and exercise regime. This is why it is important to record as much information as possible about the subjects participants of trials.

Therefore: To avoid being misled, approach correlations between variables with skepticism by looking for confounding factors. Humans like neat, causal narratives, but that’s usually not what the data is telling.

I use a lot of aspartame in Crystal Light lemonade that I drink to help minimize kidney stones. The theory being that the potassium citrate in the lemonade mix raised the pH of my urine to dissolve and/or prevent formation of uric acid kidney stones.
The body has three buffering systems - Bicarb, phosphate, and protein. There are three because even very small changes in pH have severe and profound effects on the body's biochemistry/physiology. Said another way, people have to be really sick before some one sees body pH change. Under normal physiological and health conditions nothing you eat or drink has any meaningful effect on body pH. Everything your kidneys filter entered into systemic circulation before entering renal circulation and has already been buffered.

What the citrate in lemon juice does is it binds directly to calcium to make somewhat water-soluble calcium citrate to prevent stone formation. The other things you can do is drink a lot of water to dilute the urine, limit salt intake, and limit protein intake.

I have been using Swerve to sweeten oatmeal and iced tea.
I use a banana or an orange to sweeten oatmeal. I don't sweeten tea anymore. I was 187 Lbs after a shower today. Down from about 250 when I retired. My goal is to watch my 3 yr old grandson graduate high school. I'll be 86

Back