Anyone annoyed by the new "Smart" lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decades ago, the auto companies were toying with the idea of cross-polarizing the headlamps and windshield. It would allow you to see the surroundings lit from your headlamps, but mute the light from oncoming traffic (also with polarized light).

Originally Posted By: Popinski
They turn the brights on. When it senses a car within 2,000 feet, it'll turn the brights off. Sometimes it does this closer and it gets annoying. I was driving in front of what I think was a 300C or a Lincoln and the brights kept on going on and off. Very annoying. I don't get what's so bad about conventional standard lighting.

New?
lol.gif

I'm old enough to remember my dad's 1967 Chrysler New Yorker that had these... the sensor was a small cigar shaped device on top of the dash on the driver's side. We'd get questions like "Whats that?" all the time about it.

Sounds like the "new" version works much worse than the old version of "smart" lights.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I guess you guys wont like it much when the government ties our cars together via wireless links?

Cmon, just sit back and enjoy the ride...no worries, no cares...it'll be utopia, honest.

I'm looking forward to that actually... and I hope they include the ability to send a text message to the other vehicles in the vicinity.

That will come in real handy when those other drivers pull boneheaded moves.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I guess you guys wont like it much when the government ties our cars together via wireless links?

That's not that far from the truth. They had the idea of putting GPS transponders in cars for taxation purposes.

I'm getting annoyed by the new "dumb" drivers. Just saw one in a Toyota Previa try to make a left turn from the through lane (in HEAVY traffic). Only took this retard about 30 seconds to realize he'd have to drive over a curb to do it.

Yea, it had Maryland tags on it.

Strike 1, strike 2, strike 3, you're out.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Having lived here for two years, I can see that the MDVA rivalry is almost as strong as the NYNJ rivalry vibe I used to get when I lived up there.

I think at least some of the vehicles with MD tags I see in VA are people who live in VA (1) avoiding taxes or (2) VA won't give them a drivers license because they have "documentation problems" so they go to MD to get one and register their vehicle there.

MD finally closed that loophole over the summer.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
On a larger note, it's only going to get worse. Instead of stand alone units that you can ignore once they fail, these systems are now cross integrated to where they must be fixed (sometimes at great expense) once they fail, in order to operate the car.

Some of this is the automakers ramming features down our throats, knowing fully that their dealers will make money on repair later on.... technology for technology's sake ("because they can") and not because it's really needed.

Very, very true Kestas...

Although the one plus about the recession/depression going on is that the progression of this unecessary, overly complex and expensive to buy and repair "[censored]" isn't being as readily accepted anymore because bottom line most folks simply can't afford it. I say GREAT!

I hope the irrational, and unreasoned excess of auto technology will be put on indefinite hold, at least for as long as I'm alive.

Cars are being so dumbed down and over automated that the joy of driving at any price is becoming more and more rare.

I DON'T want this stuff. Period.

If I could buy a brand new MKI Golf GTI at 14k....I'd GLADLY take it over the modern alternatives. The MKI GTI is affordable, a blast to drive, easy and very inexpensive to repair, and still practical as a modern car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brianl703

lol.gif
Beings I was born and raised in MD (35yrs there)I can relate! Moving to Texas was an eye opening experience...in that people can actually drive here!

It's unfortunate that, if you want a car that is simple without all the unnecessary gizmos, you're relegated to buying cars such as Geo Metro and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back