Anyone agree with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/rep...s125_0.html;_ylt=AqLAjTETYnmrCamQcWlin5eDc78F

Found on Yahoo's homepage today:

"Do I need to change the oil in the differential?

Not usually. The oil inside the differential runs relatively cool and doesn't get very dirty, so it usually is capable of lasting the life of the differential. If your vehicle has over 100,000 miles on the odometer, however, an oil change for preventative maintenance might help your differential see another 100,000 miles."

Seems a little ridiculous to me, however I've known many people who have well over 200,000 miles on the original differential fluid. I prefer to change mine out every 50,000-100,000 miles using a full synthetic gear lube.

I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember American car differentials had no drains or fill holes? Way back when that is? Or maybe just a fill plug? How would they drain them, just unbolt em?

All of the differentials I've seen have at least a fill plug, so just unbolt the cover plate or use a suction hose and siphon out most of it through the fill hole.

I like how it says it will last for the "lifetime" of the vehicle, but then says if you have 100,000 miles you should change it.

The fact is that "liftime" to some people means 100,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember American car differentials had no drains or fill holes? Way back when that is? Or maybe just a fill plug? How would they drain them, just unbolt em?

Most domestic straight axle vehicles have a service cover that you unbolt to drain fluid. The downside is that you have to replace the gasket or make one from RTV and tighten ~10 bolts instead of a drain plug. It does give you a chance to inspect the differential though.

I should have added this one as well:
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/rep...s124_3.html;_ylt=ArGso9TquHDNyO9THvEFk9GDc78F

"I have a manual transmission. Does the fluid in it ever need to be changed?

Not usually. Some older import vehicles (like Volkswagen Beetles) recommended periodic lube changes for their gearboxes, but no modern car or light truck requires it. The reason why is because the oil stays relatively clean and runs fairly cool. Unlike the fluid in an automatic transmission that is being constantly churned (which generates heat) and contaminated by particles worn off the clutch plates, the fluid in a manual transmission or transaxle has life pretty easy. So it usually lasts the life of the transmission."

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:

Didn't they still use whale oil back then?

i follow that oil in gearboxes and diffs runs fairly cool. so why do they need to be a multi grade of oil???
i thought m.g. was used because it made a thin oil act like a thick oil at high temperatures

For those of you that don't know - differentials get warm. Some get pretty warm. Others get VERY HOT. And the fluid is subject to pretty high stress. True, most don't get dirty - but some do via vent tubes and such. This why I think this article is bunk.

On EVERY differential I've changed fluid, about 50 I'd guess, it has shavings in the used fluid, usually seen as a goop clinging tightly to a magnetized drain plug. On EVERY differential I've changed fluid again, the subsequent fluid looks better than the original fluid did. I say get the original stuff out of there fairly soon...but, only if you are worried about really long-term service, or if you are really hard on your vehicle (heavy towing, water ingress possibilities, etc.), because they will obviously go a long, long way on the original factory fill

I think Titan makes a good point. Many cars and trucks go to the junkyard with their differential and its original lube in good shape. I do follow the owners' manual and change the oil in the transmission of my truck. Being a 77, it may not qualify as a modern truck. Since the manual specifies motor oil, it may not hold us as well as a real transmission fluid.

Has anyone seen an owners manual that lists the diff or manual trans fluid as part of maintenance?

I know my manual tranny doesn't have a maintenance requirement, but it does have a fill and drain bolt. New fluid keeps it shifting way smoother and less notchy than what was in it before. Most people don't even realize that manual trannys use oil in them, too.

The rear diff on my Chevy Silverado must have its fluid changed at 15k (7500 miles if using the truck for towing) for the first time as stated in the manual. (also it's a sticker over the orginal page)
confused.gif

Also, you must use Syn in there as thats the way it came from the factory.

60k for the front diff, 90k for the transfer case and manual transmission. (50k for the Automatic trans fluid)

The Toyota does state in their manual to change out the rear differential fluid at 30k(and every 30k!) . If you tow, replace the fluid in transmission and ft diff. Also transfer case.

I changed out my Corollas manual trans/diff fluid at 22k and was shocked how ugly it looked.. Metal all over the place. My Chevy trucks fluids all came out at 25k like new..
dunno.gif

It's also interesting to note, Toyota goes up to 120k on their maintanence logs... Chevy goes to 200k..
grin.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Ford usually states 100,000 miles on differential fluid, but unsure of the manual transmission. However my Hayne's manual suggets 24,000/24 months. Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturer's are confused on the subject.

Re - Manual Transmission Fluid never needing changed on newer vehicles...

I have a 2004 vehicle (5spd manual getrag transmission) - had the tranny fluid changed around 37,000 miles. The mechanic said he never saw so much glitter before. He said based on what he saw - change every 30,000 miles at MOST. So much for that.
tongue.gif

When the Nissan Titan came out, there were several failures of the rear end due to overheating, especially when towing. Recently I have seen several with 'finned' diff covers. That may be the factory fix.

If in doubt - change it!... cheap insurance.

Bill In Utah,

If GM is recommending changing their syn gear lube every 7.5-15k, it must be "lowest bidder" synthetic. Amsoil recommends 100k for normal service and 50k for severe service like trailer towing. I'd feel comfortable running those same intervals with Mobil 1, RP, or Redline gear lubes.

Do yourself a favor and get something decent in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back