Anyone a locksmith? Looking to just purchase tumblers for ford ignition cylinder.

98 ford ranger. I took the ignition cylinder out as an issue has developed where the key can be pulled out of the cylinder fairly easily while driving. I took it apart and see what the issue was it just needs the 7 new tumblers as they are worn out. A kit from ford is $80-100. When I look to just purchase the tumblers they only come in packs of 100. Is anyone on here a locksmith or have tumblers? I would like to just purchase 7 individual tumblers. I need three #2, three #1 and one #3.

Have you tried just buying the lock tumbler and key from NAPA, Car Quest etc??? I'll bet around $50 for whole new lock tumbler and keys.

98 ford ranger. I took the ignition cylinder out as an issue has developed where the key can be pulled out of the cylinder fairly easily while driving. I took it apart and see what the issue was it just needs the 7 new tumblers as they are worn out.
Don't see how worn tumblers would affect pulling out the key. Isn't it one retaining pin or bar thingy that holds the key in when it's rotated? Why is it a problem that the key cab be pulled out while driving and why are you trying to pull it out while driving?

Don't see how worn tumblers would affect pulling out the key. Isn't it one retaining pin or bar thingy that holds the key in when it's rotated? Why is it a problem that the key cab be pulled out while driving and why are you trying to pull it out while driving?
The tumblers engage the valleys of the key and keep the key in once its turned. The issue is i would prefer my key ring not come out while driving.

The tumblers engage the valleys of the key and keep the key in once its turned. The issue is i would prefer my key ring not come out while driving.
OK but I recall you're not supposed to have extra keys attached to the key in the ignition as it can cause it to rotate and turn the ignition off leading to an accident. Not sure if that was a Ford thing, but GM had a recall where they put a plug in the key head so no other keys could be attached to it.

OK but I recall you're not supposed to have extra keys attached to the key in the ignition as it can cause it to rotate and turn the ignition off leading to an accident. Not sure if that was a Ford thing, but GM had a recall where they put a plug in the key head so no other keys could be attached to it.
Yeah i remember that gm issue. I think people were getting killed or something.

I have a bunch of the wafers from leftover kits. What depths do you need and how many?
I have a bunch of the wafers from leftover kits. What depths do you need and how many?
I am looking for three #2, three #1 and one #3. Not sure the depth. I can measure if you need. Here is a picture.
17B87451-F6F9-4E85-944D-F3196D472039.jpeg

Are you Kramer?

Just how many keys do you keep on a key ring and for what? You only drive one car at a time and assume you only live in one house at a time and most people have electronic locks for that now.

Back