Anybody Using Magna Guard Magnets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little uneasy thinking about sticking a loose magnet into the outlet side of my filter but I think it would work better than a magnet on the outside of the filter.

Anybody using one in their filter??

Kenny<>{

in my VW 1.8T, I use them and they do a good job at catching iron particles. I take mine out after each oil change and wipe the particles onto a paper towel. I use this to watch for how much particulate there is. They are reusable for at least several OCIs before their magnetic strength decreases significantly.

I also use a FilterMag which catches even more particles but checking how much is caught obviously requires cutting the filter open. I did that once to verify it worked.

I also use a drain plug magnet. It too catches particles even though the other two magnets are also in use. It's easy to wipe those particles onto a paper towel so is worth it to me even though this magnet catches the least amount of particles of the three.

Originally Posted By: JAG
They are reusable for at least several OCIs before their magnetic strength decreases significantly.

But its a magnet.

Heat eventually weakens them. The manufacturer doesn't even recommend reusing them.

As far as it sitting in the center tube, I can't see there beingt enough velocity/flow to ever get that sinker to lift off.

JAG: You're a ferrous material grabbing fool
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

You NEED a Filtermag!!!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I want pictures of these particles man! You must cut open another filter and post the pics.

This thread has a picture of the wipings from the drain plug magnet. Thread

I don't have a pictures handy of what came from one of my Magna-Guard magnets but it looks similar to the drain plug magnet wiping with a lot more area/particulate coverage.

What I saw when I cut open the filter to see what the FilterMag caught looked just like the pictures on their website.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
JAG: You're a ferrous material grabbing fool
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

It places me squarely in the "what a freak" category. :)

I use a Filter-Mag and it works great. It's a biatch trying to get it off the filter though because it's so strong and I have a small plastic door in my skid plate to work through!
grin2.gif

I have cut open a filter and it has caught stuff on the side walls of the filter just like in the pictures on their website.

Although as the engine gets older and more worn in, I'm noticing it catching a little less than at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back