Anybody Switch from Electric to Gas Appliances?

Our new house (built in 2015) has gas heating, but the water heater and range are electric, unfortunately.

WHY WHY WHY did they do this??? I have to think that the decision by the builder was made either due to cost of appliances, and extra cost with venting the water heater, and/or being afraid that a buyer would be fearful of gas. Probably a combination of these factors.

Having cooked on gas stoves and in gas convection ovens, I much prefer gas. So does the wife. But shes said she doesn’t really care - honestly this is something I’d like to have, and is not being pushed by her, at all, although she would obviously enjoy using a gas range if we got one.

We aren’t at all concerned with safety because we have common sense and we understand cause and effect.

It’s also cheaper, and I like the idea that we would be able to cook, and have hot water in the event of power failure.

The range wouldn’t be too difficult - just have to run a gas pipe up from crawl space.

Water heater, much more involved, due to the venting requirement.

Any of you guys do this? What was the cost? Was it worth it? Do you like the gas appliances better?

Not sure exactly how long we’ll be in the house. I figure 7-10 years, maybe. I do wonder how long it would take me to break even on the costs that would be involved. Probably wouldn’t. IDK.

Do you have a gas dryer or and electric dryer?.,,
Dryer is electric. Water heater is also in the laundry room, so if we went full boat and installed a gas water heater, and the required venting, perhaps it would make sense to go ahead and install venting for a gas dryer too, to allow for the capability, whenever the time came for a new clothes dryer.

Over the years, we've had both. Stove is gas, wife prefers electric. Electric dryers work fine. We like a gas water heater over electric. Forced air gas/electric heat works well for us.

The question is how long you plan to stay there. With a 7 to 10 year guesstimate that comes across as the most as you wrote it I would not switch. If the opportunity arises like a water heater failure then I would consider it then.

Two gas water heaters , Two gas central heating units . Gas stove . Electric dryer . We love it like that . Gas seems to be more economical for us . Added bonus of a functioning stove during a power outtage .

When my electric oven, stovetop, and dryer crap out, I’ll be running more gas line in my house to accommodate gas appliances. For some reason, previous owners had gas riser outside the home for over 40 years but never connected to home…utility company it should have been cut off from main years ago but I got lucky and it wasn’t. Used to have oil heat/hot water (on demand via boiler). Got rid of that and installed a stand alone gas water heater, and a conversion burner on the near new boiler (when we moved in) 10 years ago and glad I did. The electric stovetop and oven (Kenmore) are still going from the 70s/80s.

Last edited:
John,

Not sure all the information posted in this thread is holistic to the question you are asking reference the gas water heater.

There are three standard types of gas water heaters. Chimney vent, direct vent, and power vent.

Power vent is often the easiest to install but requires electric to power the vent and the motor is often noisy. If one has a ranch, a direct vent can be very economical to install, but direct vents are often a rare heater to find, so if it breaks, the replacement may not have vent dimension that align with the older model. The chimney vent is the cheapest water heater to replace, but the cost of the chimney is the one-time issue.

I have an induction cooktop and it’s better than gas. Turn the temp down and whatever is in the skillet cools down faster. My water heater is a 65 gallon Rheem hybrid water heater, electric. Which cost less to operate than gas or traditional electric water heaters. Has a $155 annual cost sticker on it. I have geothermal hvac. I decided not to go with a desuperheater for hot water.

Back