Anybody Running 1 GBPS At Home?

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Its like $20 more a month over 300 Mbps
I use my internet for a home business and dumped Cable so I stream etc.
The local supplier has the tiers setup so you want to bump up
Like it's $10 more from 150-300 mbps

I support a church campground we have 200 Mbs and WIFI on most of the telephone poles. In the summer we routinely see 40 or 50 clients which are a mix of TVs, phones and laptops. I have yet to see the system reach 200 Mbs of bandwidth usage.

you wont notice a difference esp at peak times.. when their whole network bogs down.

I have 400/20 Mbit only because it was double the upload and 10$ more.. vs my previous 100/10Mbit

it was nice the other day downloading and installing a 100GB game from steam in under an hour.

I do at home and at work. For "normal" daily use you won't really notice a difference. If you really do need the speed because of the number of devices that are actively in use then upgrade but the quality of the modem/router will matter a lot here.

You must be kidding. I live in small town NC and the most I can get from Centurylink is 6 mbps. The only two options are Mediacom or HughesNet, neither of which are any bargain.

Attachments

• zoom.PNG
    zoom.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 32
Zee09, I checked and Zoom Internet is not offered at my location.

We are like you a bit- I'm running Verizon DSL
Armstrong has been a monopoly here since the 60's
I can only get them or Verizon DSL- I had Armstrong for years ( cable and internet) but dumped them when I went to streaming.

I have fios 50/50. Paying $54mon with tax here’s my speeds. Been with them for a few years maybe for loyalty they boosted my account to the 100/100

Attachments

• DEE644D0-10AF-4D59-916B-47ED0A4D71E3.png
    DEE644D0-10AF-4D59-916B-47ED0A4D71E3.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 20
My dad has Sonic Fiber, he claims that the local cable internet is too congested and his video streaming to oversea sport watching is unreliable with cable. He is very happy with it now.

I am doing ok with only 90mbps on Comcast, with frequent 4 zoom / webex plus youtube at 1080p at the same time. Whatever speed problem I have is usually due to company firewall anyways.

Paying for 1 gig internet is pretty much a waste. You will almost never hit a site or web service that will serve you content at even a fraction of that speed. Even at 300 mbps, the bottleneck will almost always be on the other end of the connection. Save your money.

I support a church campground we have 200 Mbs and WIFI on most of the telephone poles. In the summer we routinely see 40 or 50 clients which are a mix of TVs, phones and laptops. I have yet to see the system reach 200 Mbs of bandwidth usage.
My Xbox alone is capable of using a full 200Mbps.

I pay for 100Mbps through Comcast. I’d love to go faster but I just can’t justify it lol

Paying for 1 gig internet is pretty much a waste. You will almost never hit a site or web service that will serve you content at even a fraction of that speed. Even at 300 mbps, the bottleneck will almost always be on the other end of the connection. Save your money.

But when you have multiple TVs streaming 4K content and others connected with whatever computer/phone, that's when the faster pipe comes in handy. Especially nowadays with people working form home.

Put the $20 a month towards any loans you may have in your life.
You will never notice a difference (as others have posted) being a properly set up and functioning 100 Mbps connection (and you have 300!) and a 1 gb connection unless for some reason your doing MASSIVE downloads.

Streaming 4k on multiple TVs is more then fine with extra room left over.
Most problems with internet service are latency and poor router set up, not internet provider speed.

You may notice a difference between a very poor 300 Gbps set up and a good or poor 1 Gb set up.
It usually comes down to router set up. You should be able to plug a cable into the back of the modem and get over 300 Mbps right now, if not call your company and tell them your not getting what you paying for.
If you are getting that, then use it as a benchmark to get as much as that out of your router using your wifi.

Example, our 100 Mbps internet I can get over 110 to 117 Mbps anyplace in my 3000 sp ft house over my wifi network on a router that cost $70. Archer C7 and most times its the higher 117 number and at times higher then that.
Being that router is now 5 years old I actually just purchased a new router this week and still have to hook up. I did this as a preemptive upgrade being the Archer c7 has been running flawlessly for 5 years now, I just think its time for a change, sooner or later I would expect it to fail AND I look at it as a hardware upgrade, wondering if my jitter and latency could possibly go any lower then the low that is it.
So its fun thing, researched for months every major brand but decided on a non major brand. My network is so good I dont know how I will notice a difference but you never know unless you try.

This company is own by Lenovo and its called a MOTOROLLA AC2600 DUAL-BAND WIFI ROUTER (model # MR2600)
It cost $99 (a bargain as far as I am concerned but NOT the reason for purchasing it) and to me exceeds other name brand routers in what I need it for = Broadcasting power

Last edited:
The question you're asking is, "will I have any better application performance moving from 300Mb/s to 1Gb/s?" The answer is about whether or not you regularly congest your download queue, running against the shaper. My guess is that you don't and if that the case, then you will not notice any difference in performance. Remember that the insertion rate, the speed that packets are put onto the wire, doesn't change when the change your download speed.

The other consideration is the upload speed. If you regularly upload large files, do video conferencing, VoIP or other interactive application, then you may want the higher upload speed that comes with 1Gb/s. That's why I have 1Gb/s speed.

The question you're asking is, "will I have any better application performance moving from 300Mb/s to 1Gb/s?" The answer is about whether or not you regularly congest your download queue, running against the shaper. My guess is that you don't and if that the case, then you will not notice any difference in performance. Remember that the insertion rate, the speed that packets are put onto the wire, doesn't change when the change your download speed.

The other consideration is the upload speed. If you regularly upload large files, do video conferencing, VoIP or other interactive application, then you may want the higher upload speed that comes with 1Gb/s. That's why I have 1Gb/s speed.

Nailed it. This is exactly why I just upgraded, it doubled my upload speed, which is what I was really trying to improve.

But when you have multiple TVs streaming 4K content and others connected with whatever computer/phone, that's when the faster pipe comes in handy. Especially nowadays with people working form home.
there are nights when I have had the kid playing Xbox, a TV streaming and the wife streaming on her phone.....not one hickup ever.

Absolutely true and that was my thinking and they have the pricing so that 150 and 200 Mbps is the worst deal with tight data caps
The price between 300 Mbps and 1GB is less than $20 and I'm dumping a $85 land line as I all ever get on it is spam anymore.
You're going to eventually pay $75 a month for a basic 150 Mbps here. They suck you in for $55 but that lasts only 6 months.
It has 1 TB Monthly Data Allowance. The 1 GB is unlimited and $109 a month but I get a discount which puts me just under $95 a month
I also am a very heavy business user. Thanks!

Back