Anybody over 100k total miles w/5-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read many posts, opinions, and facts on this any a few other boards concerning the use/development of the 5/20 oils and the various 'thick thin' viscosity arguments. The reason that I found this board in the first place, was dealing with the oil requirements of an 02 Honda and Ford truck. Well..... the Honda, Ford and other engineers may have done their tests ( to the beancounters approval I'm sure), but I guess we are the real testers! Anyone out there have ,or directly know of, any vehicle that has busted 100k miles ( hopefully 150-200k?) using 5/20 or 0/20 oil only. Or, who is the current mileage champ?
grin.gif
And/or what kind of shape the motor is in and any oil related repairs. Some of the service trucks and salesmen should have done this by now.

My uncles focus has made it to over 100000 miles on regular 5w20 oil(just recently switched to m1 0w20 in the last 2 oil changes) with just regular maitenance(spark plugs, wires, etc...).

Sumerduckman:
I'm certain you've done this already, but I'm sure that if you look in the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) reports you'll notice very consistently good wear metal numbers for pretty much every 5W20 report posted.
About the ONLY thing I can imagine that would ever be wrong with the whole 5W20 idea might be older engines, and their tolerances opening up with age and wear. But that is hypothetical, and is not a good argument for not running a 5W20 on new equipment.
I'm curious how the whole 5W20 situation turns out. There is a guy at work with a new Focus, and he's had 5W20 changed out every 5K miles since it was new... with an 85 mile drive every day. His car is less than two years old and out of the 3yr/36000 miles warranty due to mileage. Be fun to see where that goes.

Yes, I'm close to 100k on my '99 F150 with the 4.6, but I have not used exclusively 5w20 for the trucks life. The original recommendation was for 5w30, and that was followed from the factory to last June when I switched to 5w20, at around 85000 miles. I'm pushing 97,000 miles right now.

I also switched my previous truck, a '97 F150 with the 4.6, to 5w20. I did this at around 161,000 miles on the odometer. It was run on 5w30 its entire life to that point. It ran like a top when I sold it. It had no issues running the thinner oil, but I was unable to test it before I sold it.
frown.gif

Well, so far Honda Guy's uncle is the mileage champ! Doesn't seem to be many high milage 5/20 users out there. Until there is a statistically significant number of units with some miles on them (even though the 5/20's are putting up some good/great UOA's) and real world results validate or invalidate all the lab and other controlled tests we will not know for sure. A lot of great ideas on paper take a quick dive down a rathole when confronted with the uncontrolled environment of 'field testing'.

My Ford truck only has 17k on it now,running the newest version of the Havoline 5/20. I will do a UOA on the next change and see how it is doing.

There are 2 or 3 Honda Insight owners with >100,000 miles. They run 0W-20. You can track them down by going here: insightcentral.net

[ February 06, 2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I used 5w20 for the first 12K miles in my '01 Accord, than switched to M1(5 or 10W30) for most of the next 80K. Since the Walmart 5qt jugs went to ~$22, I've switched back to 5w20 for the last three changes. Changed M1 @6-7.5K intervals, dino @4K. At 114K my Honda I-4 still doesn't consume or leak any oil between changes.

Wish I could say the same about my transmission
frown.gif

I'll probably go back to the M1 if the price comes back down. Although, I no longer do 1500mi/wk, so the oil changes don't come as quickly. Maybe I'll just stay with the Pennz 5w20.

[ February 18, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: mike1qaz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back