Anybody Mix Their Own Synthetic Blend?

If you were going to mix your own 5qt blend, would you mix: 1qt synthetic to 4qts dino or 2qts synthetic to 3qts dino or Just go flat out 50/50?

Depends on how long I plan on running the mix and under what conditions and the kind of oil I have on hand. Usually, If I'm going to mix, I'll add 1 quart of syn. to the Dino to beef it up a bit. Last spring I ran 4 qts of Exxon 5w20 & 1 quart of M1 0w20 for 4k in the wifes' van.

Al

As I mentioned a billion times before....A quart of RL. I have mixed it with Havoline Dino, Motorcraft, MobilDC, Mobil 1, Castrol DC. I have recently done 2 runs on Mobil 1/Redline at 5K and 5.5 K miles (just sent in the last one). I now have TropArtic/RL in there and am anxious to see the results. After this run, I might go to one without the RedLine. That will be mentally hard to do bc I believe the results show that RL mix does a good job. I was fortunate to buy out the 25 quart supply of Advance's RL at an average of $3.50 a quart.

Just did a 3quart syn/ 2quart conv. over the weekend. Usually do a 50/50 mix, but at .70 a quart for the Hav. syn, and .30 a quart for conventional, I figured, what the heck?

50/50 delo 15-40 and Chevron 5-20 is my preferred mix but I'll do 25-33% delo and Chev/ Havo 5-30 75%-66% since the 5-30 would shear to 20 pretty fast w/o help.

1 qt - 24 oz of synthetic 3 qt - 8 oz of dino Then dump the 8 ounces synthetic into the 24 ounces of dino remaining -- shake well & viola.... an instant syn-blend quart for top-offs. Obviously, this requires you to purchase six quarts. It gives you a real nice 33% syn-blend. If you only wish to purchase five quarts & use full quarts for your blend, you can choose from any combination of 20-40-60-80% blend [ April 24, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

I haven't done this for several years now, *but*: back in the "bad ol' days" before I found BITOG, did it for a while in the Neon. I was changing oil at 3K, racking up about 750-900 miles a week at the time. [Eek!] Remember, this was pre-BITOG. I used 3 to 3 1/2 qts conventional, i to 1 1/2 qt "synthetic". Yes, "synthetic". [Wink] I didn't know any different at the time, & thought synthetic meant synthetic. [Big Grin] I'll give you three guesses as to what brand it was, & the first two don't count. (Hint: what brand convinced a judge, who knew zip about motor oil, that Group III oil should be called synthetic?) It worked OK, but probably no better than the same brand's "synthetic" blend did. I did no OA back then, & so have nothing to compare it to. If I were to do it now, I'd use something known to be a real PAO or Group V synthetic, and probably use 2 qts synthetic to 3 qts dino. JMO.

Another "pre-BiTOG" mix.... At the time, I called it my D.I.Y. Durablend. 3qts. Valvoline All-Climate 10W30 1qt. Valvoline Synthetic 10W30 (pre-Synpower) ...then Valvoline came out w/Maxlife. I've used it almost exclusively ever since.

1 qt. M1 10W30, (32oz), 8oz Aeroshell W100, (50wt.) . This is for my yard tractor. I ran out of Aeroshell 15W50 semi-syn. ~28 hours on this fill, no usage. I call it my M1 semi-syn. [Big Grin]

Just made my blend this weekend. 1995 Honda Accord EX 4cyl VTEC 3 quarts Havoline 5W30 2 quarts Mobil 1 5W30 Will run it 5k miles, just like I just ran 5 quarts of Havoline 5W30. Topped off with 3/4 quart of M1.