Anybody mail a card from an old magazine and get a response back?

I was talking mainly about cards from OLDER magazines. Like maybe a card in an early 60's issue of Popular Science offering to send you a brochure of the all new for '64, Studebakers.

Back in the mid-80’s I cut out a ad from a financial magazine for Twentieth Century Mutual Funds. I had to fill in my name and address on the tiny lines and mail it to Kansas City to get information on their mutual fund lineup. The ad touted that I could invest with just $25 a month.

Three weeks later I got a huge Manila folder with all their information and guides. I signed up for one of their funds and enclosed a check for $25. That was the beginning of my venture into investments.

They are now American Century and much bigger than back when I first joined. I’ve been with them the entire time. Now my retirement money is with them and their offshoot company Avantis.
Did the exact same thing in the mid 80's w/ my first real earnings...good choice, unlike some others I made around that time:D

When I was 10 I answered a promotion in a 1930 issue of National Geographic Magazine.
It was for a sample of "Cafe Hag" instant coffee. It was manufactured by a large US company.
The name was Swedish and was said to have failed due to housewives not wanting to confront the moniker "hag" first thing in the morning.
They asked for a dime; I sent them one.
I wondered how large 10 cent samples of instant coffee were in 1930.

I only wish I kept the letter informing me that, "...no further production is anticipated". It was on the company's finest stationery.
When I was young I had a miniature VW minibus with "Cafe Hag" ad on it, it was one of my favorite toys. I'm sure I still have it...somewhere

Back