Anybody mail a card from an old magazine and get a response back?

One of those cards stuck inside the magazine that you mail off for more information or for a subscription. From a 70's or 60's or older magazine. Did you get a reply? (Yes, my stupid post of the day.)

No. But I know a guy that filled out EVERY card in several magazines and sent them in with his bosses address on them! o_O
An acquaintance of mine, his friend did this to him. Just as a prank. Eventually the post office stopped delivering his mail: he was getting bags of junk mail every day.

I filled out a subscription card for Hemmings Muscle Machines a couple of months before the first issue was published in 2003. IIRC the blank card was in a current at the time issue of Automobile magazine. I suppose I’ve been a “charter member” since 2003. I still look forward to it’s arrival each month though it’s noticeably thinner. I also subscribe to Hemmings Motor News…yes…I’m old school.

Last edited:
No. But I know a guy that filled out EVERY card in several magazines and sent them in with his bosses address on them! o_O
I've been tempted..... Or at least tempted to do something - anything - with those cards.

Do magazines still come with cards stuck in them? Last few magazines I bought had none.... And the magazines themselves were more like 1/3 the thickness they used to be. It seems an era has passed.

When I was 10 I answered a promotion in a 1930 issue of National Geographic Magazine.
It was for a sample of "Cafe Hag" instant coffee. It was manufactured by a large US company.
The name was Swedish and was said to have failed due to housewives not wanting to confront the moniker "hag" first thing in the morning.
They asked for a dime; I sent them one.
I wondered how large 10 cent samples of instant coffee were in 1930.

I only wish I kept the letter informing me that, "...no further production is anticipated". It was on the company's finest stationery.

Sure it's not just because it makes him do grownup things? You'd have to pay me to drink that bitter liquid.
If you have a middle eastern background, you are drinking coffee at a fairly early age because that's just how they roll. No shame in it.

Back in the mid-80’s I cut out a ad from a financial magazine for Twentieth Century Mutual Funds. I had to fill in my name and address on the tiny lines and mail it to Kansas City to get information on their mutual fund lineup. The ad touted that I could invest with just $25 a month.

Three weeks later I got a huge Manila folder with all their information and guides. I signed up for one of their funds and enclosed a check for $25. That was the beginning of my venture into investments.

They are now American Century and much bigger than back when I first joined. I’ve been with them the entire time. Now my retirement money is with them and their offshoot company Avantis.

My little sister's only first/only job I knew of in High School in early 1990's was typing the addresses into a database from those cards for a place called Yield House furniture. She was smart she actually got paid $8/hr when min wage was $3.35/hr.

The ads were cool in the old magazines I found. If the artwork was Art Deco there was a higher likelihood of the company not responding.

Better luck was had when samples of a new metal treatment were offered at a whopping 25 cent mailing fee.
You got a drawstring bag with an address tag sewn in along the bottom seam. It contained a wee spray can of WD-40.
It was a handy size for I bike rider like me. I sent quarters to WD-40 in my friends' names.

To the actual posted point: Recently I used an included card in a magazine for THREE subscriptions for the price of one; a reduced price.
The publishers are beating the bushes for addresses. They'd likely honor any response.
I too feel we're seeing the death throws of the mass printed paper periodical.

Last edited:
e06d061a.jpg

I might have gotten a couple of magazine subscriptions that way. Some specialty publications used to have a card with numbers and a page of advertisers. If you pulled out the card and circled a bunch of numbers, the corresponding advertiser would theoretically respond with a packet of information. I filled out those a few times and got stuff.

I found a scan of one from a travel magazine.

replybefore.jpg

Now I used to collect comic books. Marvel used to have an advertiser that sold older comic books with a price list and a specified period where they would honor the ad price. But that was old school before online ordering, where you'd make a photocopy of the ad, write down what you wanted on a piece of paper, write a check, and then hope they still had it in stock. I got some older ones that were way more at a comic book store and they were in absolutely pristine condition.

Back