Anybody know what’s the best window seat on Boeing 777 to see engines spooling up on take off roll ?

Anybody know what’s the best window seat on Boeing 777 to see engines spooling up on take off roll ?

Which business class seat on American Airlines do I need to book ?

Last edited:
As far as I know, the interiors are not all the same, prob 4A but guessing no no farther back than 7A or 8A. The engines sit far forward of the wing, and seeing the fan means you have to be forward of the inlet by a few rows.

You can go to Seatguru dot com and select your airframe and possibly your airline and then see the seat placement. You'd want a window seat on either the left or right side of aircraft a couple of rows forward of the wing leading edge. Here is an example where row 12 or 15 would provide a view of the inlet. This is from a United B777-300ER

1684542715655.png

You can go to Seatguru dot com and select your airframe and possibly your airline and then see the seat placement. You'd want a window seat on either the left or right side of aircraft a couple of rows forward of the wing leading edge. Here is an example where row 12 or 15 would provide a view of the inlet.
That brings up a good point, some Business/First Class window seats are not at the window, as the seating is staggered.

Which business class seat on American Airlines do I need to book ?
AA flights I have taken are 1-2-1 and forward facing (like UA)
BA had the zig zag seats where I took this photo (rear facing window) but BA has been phasing those out for 1-2-1 that I also took (2nd) …

E57EF2DB-9A2F-4212-93D6-2C5A10BACB0E.jpeg
5609C280-72CC-4B84-8F49-9E06E9B6FFE6.jpeg

Last edited:
The best seat to sit in is the one where there isn't a person who smells, coughs, sneezes, talks your ear off or infringes in on your space.

Nope! I just don't fly anymore. :p
I have been flying sine 1968 and I'm done. And it isn't just about smelly people, it's about rudeness of passengers, fights, passenger who feel themselves to be entitled and the airlines themselves. I'm done!

Nope! I just don't fly anymore. :p
I have been flying sine 1968 and I'm done. And it isn't just about smelly people, it's about rudeness of passengers, fights, passenger who feel themselves to be entitled and the airlines themselves. I'm done!

Air travel has gotten similar to a Walmart Supercenter, sometimes there’s low class idiots causing trouble.

Going back to the original question, I'm not sure I can tell a difference between an engine at idle and one on a take off roll from the front, and maybe just the visible heat of the exhaust on the rear.

When a huge turbofan is making static thrust they tend to cloud their inlets. At high idle you'll see the condensed air drawn into the inlet. This is naturally more noticeable in moist climates. Look closely at this photo of a GE90 spooling in the runup hold - notice the tiny tornado at the 6 o'clock position. It's really fascinating when they draw in their own exhaust.
b777 engine start.JPG
GE90 2.JPG

Fox,

I thought you worked on engines at Delta ?

If so, which engines ?

Yes, I want to see the fogging of engine. (y)

When a huge turbofan is making static thrust they tend to cloud their inlets. At high idle you'll see the condensed air drawn into the inlet. This is naturally more noticeable in moist climates. Look closely at this photo of a GE90 spooling in the runup hold - notice the tiny tornado at the 6 o'clock position. It's really fascinating when they draw in their own exhaust.
View attachment 156989View attachment 156990

Looking closely - this was happening on/off quickly with this RR Trent on take off - notice the whiter rim on 2nd shot …

D8CA59E5-2693-436A-B5D0-2DD927BB33A0.png
5636D28F-36DA-4807-99E2-79D0F326DD2E.png

I thought you worked on engines at Delta ?

If so, which engines ?

Yes, I want to see the fogging of engine. (y)
I spent 30 years working on airplanes but am now retired. My last few years were spent working GE90's and CF6's. I was an inspector so my duties were centered around ensuring configuration compliance and build accuracy rather than actually turning wrenches.

Airplanes and jet engines are possibly the most fascinating mechanical marvels man has ever invented. When I was a young kid I'd spend my days working on the airplanes, eating my lunch on the tail docks while watching the air traffic, and sometimes I'd go out to the jet base on my days off just to be around the planes. It was truly that fascinating and interesting to me. After 30 years it wouldn't bother me if I never heard another jet engine roaring down the runway or rivet gun pounding a rivet into submission.

On the topic of this thread, I find it more interesting to watch the flaps, slats, and spoilers working their magic while the plane is flying through the air as opposed to watching the engines on takeoff. I have manufactured many of the composite flight controls throughout my career and watching them in action just makes the experience complete. There are a lot of doohickeys inside those wings working the magic.
spoiler 1.JPG
flap extension.JPG

Back