Anybody know the CCS, and MRV of MGMO GF5 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is difficult to get this info on OEM oils. It is available but unless you've got a good inside connection with the company (Mazda) you won't be able to get this technical info.
BTW we don't have this info for the Mobil made TGMO either.

It should be understood that these extreme cold spec's have no practical relevance to most of us since we're not starting our cars at -40 degrees or anything close to it. In which case the combination of HTHSV, KV40 and the VI spec's will allow one to predict which oils are the lightest on start-up at more typical cold start-up temp's. That said both MGMO and TGMO are significantly lighter than AFE 0W-20 with the edge likely going to TGMO.

Wow, that an old thread!
Yes I managed to get the spec's out of Toyota Canada for the original Nippon Oil made TGMO but
when they switched suppliers to Mobil my original very accommendating contact was gone and her replacement was not interested in going to the same trouble to dig up the spec's.

One of my cars needs to stay outside garage from this winter on. Two car garage, three cars. Winter in upstate NY can get to -10 deg f, that's -23 deg c cold soak. My current thinking is m1 afe 0w20, solely for its cold spec. I wanted to see mgmo 0w20 for its cold spec, because i like the moly content for flat tappet of the car. What would you do? Car is 2007 Mazda 3. Thanks.

Last edited:
Windeye, -10F (-23C) is not cold enough to rely upon the CCS and MRV spec's. Since TGMO and MGMO are a good 30% lighter than AFE at 0C, IMO they are still going to be lighter at -20C.

BTW if you can get a deal on it, the lightest oil you can buy is Sustina 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Cater,

I thought you ranked MGMO a tad higher than TGMO...

Yes that was a typo, I meant to give a slight edge to MGMO in terms of which was lightest on start-up based on it's lower KV40 and marginally higher VI but whether that advantage holds up at subzero temp's is anybodies guess.

Thanks Caterham. What would you use if it was you... Picking from tgmo, mgmo, and m1 afe. I don't have access to sustina.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I don't remember if I asked this before or not;

How does the Sustina compare to the other two for MRV/CCS IF one DID have to start their car, housed outside with NO block/pan heater, at the North Pole, in winter??
Splitting hairs, or significant differences??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: windeye
Thanks Caterham. What would you use if it was you... Picking from tgmo, mgmo, and m1 afe. I don't have access to sustina.

In upstate NY I'd likely go with TGMO since it's cheaper than MGMO and available in bulk as an option from your local Toyota/Lexus dealer.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I don't remember if I asked this before or not;

How does the Sustina compare to the other two for MRV/CCS IF one DID have to start their car, housed outside with NO block/pan heater, at the North Pole, in winter??
Splitting hairs, or significant differences??
21.gif

Sustina 0W-20 MVR is 9630cP and CCS is 3550cP.
That's on par with M1 0W-20's MVR and we don't know M1's CCS.

By comparison, the PAO based Amsoil ASM 0W-20 has a CCS of 4979cP.

Will most local Toyota or Mazda dealer sell from their 0W20 oil from their bulk? One dealer in the philly suburbs said no.

The Idemitsu made high moly Mazda 0W-20 is only available in quart bottles.
The Mobil made TGMO 0W-20 is now supplied to all
Toyota and Lexus dealers in bulk in addition to being bottled. Whether the dealer parts mgr will
fill some empty 5 quart oil jugs for you at a negotiated discount is up to them but a number of members, myself included, have found their local Toyota parts guy are happy to do so.

I have a 2014 Venza V6 with 2K miles. To be warranty complaint, should I stay with TGMO 0W-20 or go with the canterham blend TGMO 0W-20 25%/M1 0W-40. What would be the canterham blend's viscosity?

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
Will most local Toyota or Mazda dealer sell from their 0W20 oil from their bulk? One dealer in the philly suburbs said no.

Thompson Toyota (on RT. 313) in Doylestown has the TGMO quarts for $7.02 each (I don't know how far you are from there, north Philly??).

I never asked them about selling their bulk oil, IF they even have the TGMO in bulk.

Unless you are driving through Death Valley, in the peak of summer, with the air on max, at 100mph, I would stick with the straight TGMO (and maybe even then), regardless of needing to comply with the warranty.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back