Anybody have or drive a box truck? Does it have a spare tire?

atikovi

Originally Posted by 02SE
So in that spirit: Maybe make a decision for yourself, rather than asking a bunch of strangers what you should do...
My question wasn't about changing a tire which some posts morphed into, but how best to store one.

I think I would have opted to make or have a bracket made that attached underneath the box somewhere between the cab and rear wheels where you can simply slide the rim/tire out without having to go into the box and move things around to get it out. they also make e-pocket kits for mounting kits, so you could have attached a piece of e-track and then popped the stud kit into the e-track pocket to attach the spare. just ideas, I see you already have a bracket in mind, hopefully its secure enough

The best action is having someone or yourself make a tire rack under the box, just like some semi trucks have.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Already done. [Linked Image from fototime.com]
Bad location for a spare. It takes up space, and if you have a flat while loaded, the truck has to be unloaded to change the tire. If you really want a spare on a box truck, it should be mounted under the box. JMO from owning box trucks for a prior business.

atikovi

Out of the weather. Won't rust and corrode Don't need to crawl under the truck in rain and snow to lift out a 60 pound wheel Under $20 in parts Box trucks don't come with spares so the alternative to moving a few things around to get to it is minor for rare times you might get a flat.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Out of the weather. Won't rust and corrode Don't need to crawl under the truck in rain and snow to lift out a 60 pound wheel Under $20 in parts Box trucks don't come with spares so the alternative to moving a few things around to get to it is minor for rare times you might get a flat.
Depends how and what it's loaded with. More often than not my trucks were completely packed full. So that would constitute a significant loss of usable space, and several hours unloading and reloading on the side of a highway. A terrible option for my usage. But if it works for you, great.

Every box truck Ive ever driven that had a spare had it mounted in the back. So you dont have to unload the whole box to get the tire out.

I agree, I'd put it near the door. If anything, I'd think about mounting higher (dumb idea given my back) and then bolt to the floor a box for tie downs, moving blankets, bottle jack, etc. All the stuff you want near the door but in a box so stuff doesn't fly in an accident. But if it works for you, great. Maybe you don't often stack stuff like we're thinking, and a path isn't too hard to get.