Anybody ever have trouble sending in a sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've sent a couple of samples, never had a problem. Sometimes they put a liquid sticker on it, sometimes they don't, but I've never been challenged. Haven't lost a sample yet either.

Cheers, 3MP

Just dropped off my Blackstone black canister this morning. The Postmaster at my small, rural Post Office, asked jokingly "You trying to blow me up?" I explained what it was and all was fine.
grin.gif

I've never had trouble, even when I used to send my samples across the border and down to Texas.

The lab I use now is in the same city as me, so a few times I've just driven right to the lab and dropped it off in their recieving dept.

haven't had any trouble sending, but when i got my first sample container from blackstone, the USPS sent me a notification of a HAZMAT package at the post office that i needed to pick up. as i wasn't expecting any hazardous waste, i left it a day or two while i took care of other things. the USPS delivered it in a USPS sealed container on my doorstep.

this was an empty sample container. hate to see what they would do for a full one.

I have an oil sample ready to go but I just know that they will give me the third degree at the post office when I come in with the black container. Has anybody had problems mailing an oil sample?

I am going to try to find some sort of round mailing container to put it in.

recommendation:

If it's a Blackstone sample, put baggie around bottle and place in black container. Label it, declare as "Product Sample."

If you're sending it to other lab:

Package it at home and label it at home.

Place bottle in Zip-lock "baggies" and pack with absorbent paper (those blue paper shop towels work great). Put the bottle in a small carboard box. For UPS or Fedex or USPS, declare it as a "Product Sample."

I have never had USPS or anyone else give me any trouble over shipping sample bottles.

[ July 24, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I've never had problems with the post office accepting a sample for delivery but I have had problems with them delivering the sample. The small bottles are easily lost in those big mail bags. I'd recommend, like MolaKule, repackaging the bottle into something bigger and harder to lose.

I've sent my last sample via the post office. I'm sending them UPS so I can track their whereabouts. It sux to lose a sample.
frown.gif

[ July 24, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

You have to declare what is in your domestic bound packages? I knew you had to internationaly but not domestic? Just put it in the Blackstone container and then in a padded postal envelope. This is how I do it but since I send from Canadato the US I declare the value $1 and call it motor oil sample.

Declare it as a liquid product sample if you have to, but don't use any words like:

"mixed hydrocarbons with various process and esterified organometallic elements"
grin.gif

They will have a heartattack for sure!
dunno.gif

[ July 24, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I have an oil sample ready to go but I just know that they will give me the third degree at the post office when I come in with the black container. Has anybody had problems mailing an oil sample?

Just sent my first sample a few days ago. Used the blackstone canister. No hassles from the post office. They did not ask me to declare the contents. $1.52 for first class mail, just as Blackstone said it would be.

quote:

Originally posted by MRC01:

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

Just sent my first sample a few days ago. Used the blackstone canister. No hassles from the post office. They did not ask me to declare the contents. $1.52 for first class mail, just as Blackstone said it would be.

Can I reuse the round cardboard that the black container came in? Perhaps just remove the old mailing label and post office stamp and then send the bottle in that.
smile.gif

I've gotten no hassles sending the Blackstone containers via mail so far. Nearly every time I do get asked if it is a hazardous substance and a simple no answer always suffices. Never been an issue... Just be upfront since you have nothing to hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back