Anybody else have black gas in their car??

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is normal.

That is what the filter has collected over the timeframe.

The black is just a collection of debris it filtered out.

It is not from black gas, that is what the filter is supposed to filter and it did a good job.

And my car has 'lifetime' fuel filters!
spaz.gif

I changed my fuel filter today and also had dirty gas on the input side. Not as bad as that, more of a brown color than black, but definitely dirty. Seemed to start up fine with the new filter. I'm not worried about it.

It is there for a reason. It is doing its' job.

Just like having a dirty oil filter doesn't mean there is something wrong with the oil. The filter was filter as it should.

Now if it wasn't dirty I would be slightly concerned.

Oh...123,000 miles and 8 years? BlazerLT is correct, it's just doing it's job. The other issue is probably not in play...yet.

that's a ton of miles on an in-line fuel filter...every couple years is always good maintanance. I change a couple fuel filters a week, and that's pretty typical to have nasty gas in the input end of the filter. I figure it's not a bad thing, at least that's on the input side...that's why the filter's there, all that black junk could be in your injectors...
~Erik~

When I changed the fuel filter, shiny metal flakes particles came out of the 'dirty gas' mixture.

Obviously glad they're not in the injectors, but is this a sign that my pump might be on its way towards death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back