Anybody else do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to get alot more of the old, dirty oil out of the engine, let it drain normally but after the dripping stops and before you close it all up, disconnect (at the air tube) the breather hose that runs from the air tube to the valve cover and blow into the hose long and hard 5-10 times. Of course you can put your lips on the valve cover fitting if you want but MAN THAT BABY'S HOT!! You'll be suprised how much more oil comes shooting out the drain! I get AT LEAST another 1/4 qt. and maybe more.

I've never tried that but I sometimes pour an extra 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of fresh oil into the crankcase before I put the plug back on, that way it takes a little bit more of the dirty oil along with it as it flows down through the pan.

ShootingStar, are you sure you're not trying to compete with Patman to become the KingOil
fruit.gif
on this message board?
grin.gif

I also pour in about a 1/2 qrt of new oil in before i replace the drain plug.

I'm just thinking that if there's still a 1/4 to 1/2 qt. of dirty oil left in the engine after the dripping stops from a 2 hour drain, and you add another 1/4 to 1/2 qt. of clean oil to flush, you'll still have 1/4 to 1/2 qt. of "half dirty" oil left in there when you close it up. Or maybe the clean oil just pushes the dirty oil out.
dunno.gif

[ September 05, 2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: ShootingStar ]

When i pour in the extra oil, you can see the dirty oil come out of the drain, and then it turns clear when the new oil reaches the outlet.

quote:

Originally posted by ShootingStar:
If you want to get alot more of the old, dirty oil out of the engine, let it drain normally but after the dripping stops and before you close it all up, disconnect (at the air tube) the breather hose that runs from the air tube to the valve cover and blow into the hose long and hard 5-10 times. Of course you can put your lips on the valve cover fitting if you want but MAN THAT BABY'S HOT!! You'll be suprised how much more oil comes shooting out the drain! I get AT LEAST another 1/4 qt. and maybe more.

By "blowing" the oil off of internal parts are you reducing the amount of oil on your moving parts for the startup soon after?

Also, has anyone seen you do this? Do they run away and avoid eye contact?
gr_eek2.gif

Without your explanation it sounds like something that would scare the neighbors.
rolleyes.gif

lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
When i pour in the extra oil, you can see the dirty oil come out of the drain, and then it turns clear when the new oil reaches the outlet.

This method sounds easier than the "blowing into the airhose" method. I'm surprised I didn't think of it earlier because I often wonder about the effects of old, dirty oil in the crankcase after change.

I've heard some people let their oil drain for several hours or even overnight. Anyone do that?

When I change the oil in my wife's car, I let it drain for 2 hours, and by the time I go back out to put in the drain plug, it has totally stopped dripping by then. That's when I pour in a little bit of fresh oil, then wait a few more minutes and button things back up.

I'd like to wait that long with my 95 Formula, but I cannot leave my car parked up on the curb in front of my house for too long (they'll ticket us, as I'm in a townhouse) I park my car with two wheels up on the curb so I can fit under it, but with my wife's Honda, I don't need to do this. So I can leave the car parked in the driveway and let the oil drain as long as I wish.

When I lived with my parents and could park the cars on the curb without worrying about tickets, I used to let the oil in my 98 Formula drain for about 90min. I once measured how much more dirty oil came out between the 5min mark and the 90min mark, and it was 4 more ounces!! Most fast lube places don't even let the oil drain out for 5min either! (I timed the GM dealer when I got my oil change done there and it was only 3min that they let it drain)

Another major benefit of letting the oil drain that long is that when it comes time to change the oil filter, everything has cooled right off, so you don't burn yourself. When I had my LS1 that was a big thing since taking off the oil filter on them is a real mess, quite a bit of oil comes out of there.

The problem with putting in the cheapo oil in there is that then you'd have the slight additive clash of that different oil. And I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
smile.gif

O-C-A, as in OK! I like that Patman.

Or, you could take Sominex tonight and sleep, ssllleeep, sleeeeeeppp!

I sent this link to a good friend of mine and he thinks we are all sick! He suggests that we take our oil pans off with each oil change to clean any remaining sediments on the bottom!
tongue.gif

Patman, I know you don't have it anymore, but aren't the drain plugs on the LS1's on the front of the pan? So putting the front wheels on the curb would keep a lot of oil in the pan. On my wife's Formula, I have just enough reach to get the plug and filter out keeping the car on level ground.

Every other oil change, I adjust the valves on my car (solid lifters) and clean up the old oil sitting on the heads. I don't worry about it for the change when I don't pull the valve covers.

And yes, y'all are indeed sick
wink.gif

Chris, with the slight angle that my LS1 Formula would be on, it actually allowed more oil to come out. Same with my LT1, having it on that angle means that gravity helps to get a little bit more dirty oil out.

LOL Terry, if I could figure out a way to remove my oil pan and put it back on in less than 15min without making a huge mess, I probably would do it!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back