Anybody allergic artificial sweetener Aspartame ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if any people here on BITOG are allergic to the artificial sweetener Aspartame in some chewing gum, soda and other foods ?
It seems like when I eat anything with aspartame, I get a very bad rash on my hands and arms.
21.gif

Can BHT (preservative) also cause a breakout in allergies ?

I'm allergic I guess because it triggers migraines.

My mom gets Hives from anything with Aspartame in it.

I miss my Diet-Coke.
frown.gif

Aspartame breaks down into 2 toxic compounds, formic acid and formeldehyde. Look it up, there are many articles about it causing cancer and many other probems. I do not consume anything that contains any form of artificial sweetner.

I haven't had any trouble with it - but I do try to stay away from it. I figure I don't drink many sodas in the first place, so if I do they better be real sugar.

Now you need to do an experiment and buy some pure aspartame...

Maybe there's a contaminant in recent batches. I never liked the stuff anyways.

my father is a professor of organic chemistry and he has assured me there is ZERO risk from aspartame in terms of it causing cancer.

I drink a gallon daily of something that must be bag house/dust collector/floor sweepings from a Crystal Lite facility that's repackaged and sold at Aldi that has it in it.

No issues presently. No migraines ..but they went away with vascular dilating bp meds (now off) so it's hard to tell. Kids didn't react well to them. I use Spenda~ for things where I add sweetener.

In packet form, Aspartame is the same price as Splenda~ where I shop. It's just not available in the mega pouch.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I was wondering if any people here on BITOG are allergic to the artificial sweetener Aspartame in some chewing gum, soda and other foods ?
It seems like when I eat anything with aspartame, I get a very bad rash on my hands and arms.
21.gif

Can BHT (preservative) also cause a breakout in allergies ?

When they tested it, they didn't use MSG as the "control" for no reason.

A couple of years ago I started to get a nervous feeling almost like a mild panic attack. I would be sitting down watching tv or just taking it easy and my heart rate would go up and it felt like there was pressure being applied to my chest. I just could not relax. After doing some searches, I found that that was one of the side effects of aspartame. I have since stopped consuming aspartame and rarely get that feeling anymore. BTW, a lot of prescription drugs come with that same side effect.

It took many trips to the doctor to discover what it was doing to me.

I had arthritis like symptons, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, back pain, weakness, insane headaches with tunnel vision and halos around lights. And no, I don't drink or do drugs.

One doctor diagnosed me with fibromialgia (sp). Got off the diet Cokes and every symptom was gone in a week. I literally felt like I was 18 again. I was able to get off of the anxiety medicine that I had been on so long. My overall health was 1,000% better. I hate that stuff. I feel like I lost 5 years of my life.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

One doctor diagnosed me with fibromialgia (sp). Got off the diet Cokes and every symptom was gone in a week. I literally felt like I was 18 again. I was able to get off of the anxiety medicine that I had been on so long. My overall health was 1,000% better. I hate that stuff. I feel like I lost 5 years of my life.

Wow, that's enough to not want to use the stuff. I rarely consume things with aspartame. I don't like any of the gums that have it, problems is, try finding gum that doesn't have it anymore.

I can't believe the amounts of Diet Coke, and other things people consume. Even without the aspartame it can't be good for you.

When I chew gum with it, I get headaches.

I had arthritis like symptons, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, back pain, weakness, insane headaches with tunnel vision and halos around lights. And no, I don't drink or do drugs.

Yeah as stated above it caused my migraines with excruiating pain and loss of feeling in one side of my body (Hemi-pelegic), and I would be "out of it" for a couple of days with ringing in my ears. They tried me on anti-depressants known to help migraines, anti-seizure meds which made me feel really groggy and no one could figure out why. I then did some research and found additives like MSG and Aspartame are known triggers in some people. I cut these out one at a time and my Migraines got better and then disapeared. I haven't had one in 3 months and I was getting them every week sometimes a few times a week. I was ready to jump off a bridge because the pain was just something I couldn't handle.

Now on the reverse side I'm having Generalized Anxiety in the mornings and feel really anxious for no reason up until about 1pm when it goes away. My doctor says this might be withdrawl from the Aspartame/MSG. So a couple of random mornings I had some Aspartame during the anxiousness and within 15 minutes it was gone.

So now I'm left dealing with this problem and trying to find an anxiety med that will work for me until I can get over this "addiction"

Absolutely ridiculous that they can market this stuff!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Yeah as stated above it caused my migraines with excruiating pain and loss of feeling in one side of my body (Hemi-pelegic), and I would be "out of it" for a couple of days with ringing in my ears. They tried me on anti-depressants known to help migraines, anti-seizure meds which made me feel really groggy and no one could figure out why. I then did some research and found additives like MSG and Aspartame are known triggers in some people. I cut these out one at a time and my Migraines got better and then disapeared. I haven't had one in 3 months and I was getting them every week sometimes a few times a week. I was ready to jump off a bridge because the pain was just something I couldn't handle.

Now on the reverse side I'm having Generalized Anxiety in the mornings and feel really anxious for no reason up until about 1pm when it goes away. My doctor says this might be withdrawl from the Aspartame/MSG. So a couple of random mornings I had some Aspartame during the anxiousness and within 15 minutes it was gone.

So now I'm left dealing with this problem and trying to find an anxiety med that will work for me until I can get over this "addiction"

Absolutely ridiculous that they can market this stuff!
mad.gif

I'm also surprised it's legal.

I had days at work where I would be so confused I would have to leave a meeting and go home or a while. People would be talking to me but I couldn't really comprehend what they were saying.

If you're looking for an excellent low dose anxiety medicine to get you through until the withdrawals go away, clonopin is great. I took the minimal amount that worked, less than what was prescribed for me and there were no side effects like drowsiness. I was on anti-depressants and anti anxieties for years, totally not needed now.

I did consume at least a 12 pack a day, sometimes double that.

I did consume at least a 12 pack a day, sometimes double that.

crazy2.gif

That amount of sugar and caffeine is enough to send one into a tailspin of (clincal) anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back