Any water well experts here?

My parents have about 500 acres of farmland in West Texas (Abilene Area). There is an old non-functioning water well (about 50 years old) on the property. It was supposedly a very good well years ago. There are 3 stock tanks that are very low and we have been stocking them all with fish.

Are these old wells able to be revived or must we start from scratch? I think the well is about 100 feet deep. I couldnt believe the costs of 20K to have a new well dug.

Any feedback/thoughts appreciated...

Are these old wells able to be revived or must we start from scratch? I think the well is about 100 feet deep. I couldnt believe the costs of 20K to have a new well dug.

Have you checked to see if there is water in the well? Is it full of sand? Has the casing rusted out or collapsed? You can try simple things like lowering a camera on a secure line. But what ever you do, make sure not to drop your camera. You probably won't get it back unless you come up with a crafty way to retrieve it.

In reality, a 50 year old well could be just fine and is really not all that old.

However, having flown over West TX many times, I find it curious that water is that close to the surface. Seems rather dry...

Last edited:
Drop a line down the well and see how far the well goes down and then see if the line comes up wet . Go from there I am sure a well company can drop a camera down the pipe.

What ihve heard done is putting an explosive charge down there. Better solution is find out who didj the original drill. They measure bit diameter and size so it does not get stuck in the hole

I used to be a well driller's helper.

When u got a bid for a new well did they say how deep, volume of water and the quality of the water. They can't guarantee any of it. Being only 100' guess the pump is above ground ( jet pump) or is it submersible. Either way piping and wiring probably isn't good. 1" steel pipe weighs 1.68 lbs per ft 168 per 100'. A well pump service company can do that type of work.

The best advice would come from someone in your area that knows the water tables and the types of wells used. It varies wildly from one region to another.

Back