Any validity in this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shadowgerm

welcome.gif

I mostly agree with the points made in the article.
Even though it was totally unnecessary on his part to bring in a political comment.
"Since "Big Oil" is in bed with the un-elected president in the U.S., don't expect any action of lower sulphur fuel for a while in the United States. If Al Gore is re-elected in 2004, and the Supremes don't simply ignore the election results again, then there is a chance for lower sulphur fuel in the U.S. beginning in 2005."

Such a moronic statement!!!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Some of it was, some of it is just garbage. Synthetic oils don't have to have the amount of additives that dino oils have to have in order to make up for their inferior base stocks. As such, there can be more additive percentage utilized for other useful additives that will prevent wear and stop corrosion. Saying not to use synthetic oils beyond manufacturer specification is like saying to throw out tires with tons of tread left because the treadwear warranty is only good for X amount of miles. This is only thing I'm going to pick out. Read the boards and just ignore this article. He knows enough to be dangerous and start unsubstantiated rumors.

"If you service your vehicle through an independent or aftermarket facility, what does the manufacturer owe you in terms of assistance? Manufacturers cannot control the quality of the parts used or work performed when you service your vehicle through aftermarket service facilities."

Apparently the guy's got a different take on Moss-Magnuson than congress intended. I can't help but wonder if he's a dealership stooge with underlying neo-conservative reactionary lunatic-fringe politics "rounding out" his world-view. WOW - come to think of it, he'd fit right in over here!

quote:

with underlying neo-conservative reactionary lunatic-fringe politics "rounding out" his world-view.
WOW - come to think of it, he'd fit right in over here!

W*T*F*?????
confused.gif
confused.gif

I hope you're not serious, are you?
thumbsdown.gif

Actually Al - statements like this not only are WRONG, they are very misleading to the average joe:

quote:

Never use a non-API certified synthetic oil (there are many of these on the market). The problem with the non-API certified synthetics is that they contain too much phosphorus

Forget about the fact that there is no validated cut off line for what actual % P in an oil would poison a cat, and forget about there are other reasons why an oil company such as Specialty Formulations, Amsoil, Redline, et al may not "go API". Just think about XW-40 diesel oils that "are API". Yep, over 800, 1000, 1200 ppm P.

Listen, this article is just another cookie cutter article that we have all seen and read popping up all over the net. He did an OK re-write. Some stuff has to make sense, because we have proven it to make sense. Other stuff is gibberish. The fact that he calls himself an "oilexpert" is pretty silly.

I thought his negative view on 'flushes' was definitely off. In the summary of his article he states "avoid engine flushes." Granted, I wouldn't fall for the high price dealer flushes, but look at all the positive feedback regarding AutoRx.

Some thoughts . . .

Lower sulphur fuels will be driven by air quality concerns as they might relate to engine fuels, especially diesels. Nothing political there as those things are already happening in some states and will soon be nationwide.

Engine flushes, as administered by some oil change operatives (dealership or private shop or chain), are more profit-center-oriented than not. Not to mention their selling cost compared to a regular oil change. Many of the aftermarket chemical companies that sell the multitude of flush kits to oil change operations (dealerships and others) usually pay spiffs to the techs and service writers, so you know they are going to try to sell them when they feel they can. These are my observations.

With the positive AutoRX comments and postings in here, perhaps flushes are more needed in some cases than others. I like to look inside of the oil filler cap's openning and see "metal" rather than "coverings" too. I also realize that a good flush does not really happen immediately when the flush product is put into the engine's oil (as some consumers might suspect).

One one used car I bought years ago, I got the oil changed and then added a pint of Stewart-Warner Alemite CD-2 oil detergent when it got a quart low. When it hit a quart low again, it got another pint. When it got a quart down again, it got an oil change with a long drain period. Seemed to work well.

In later years, I started doing my own oil changes. I also started pouring a quart of oil into the oil filler hole while the drain plug was still out, trying to get any residual oil out of the oil pan. I figured that extra quart of oil was a little extra cost to pay for getting a more complete oil change (using normal oil at the time). But I could have put that money into an "engine rebuild fund" too, but we all know what can happen with surplus money laying around.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

quote:

I also started pouring a quart of oil into the oil filler hole while the drain plug was still out, trying to get any residual oil out of the oil pan.

You might be interested in the Patman Flush® procedure.
grin.gif

LOL. This guy claims to be an oil expert and gives no curriculum vitae, current position, education, etc.. And he has a hotmail account to boot. Basically, he summarized his references and made some unsubstantiated claims of his own.

Heck, I'm gonna open a hotmail account, [email protected]. I read a couple gynecology periodicals, so I am an expert...not. I may be a self proclaimed expert from my personal experiences, but by no means am I able to give advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back