Any usable automotive paint strippers these days?

I'm stripping the paint off the bumper cover from my Sequoia before taking it to get painted. I have some 10 year old aircraft stripper and have done half of it, but will probably run out before I'm finished. It works great, paint starts blistering in minutes. For those not aware, the main working ingredient in paint strippers, methylene chloride, was banned 2 years ago for consumer grade strippers. The new formulas that came out since are pretty much useless if you read the reviews or watch some videos. This guy goes off on it pretty good,

Has anyone used something that actually works or can suggest a good readily available commercial grade stripper? I see Klean Strip recently came out with a new formula aircraft stripper: http://kleanstripauto.com/products/aircraft/aircraft-ultra-paint-remover It doesn't say, "No methylene chloride" on the label, but it doesn't say it has it either. It does have some methanol.

Last edited:
We had some aviation paint stripper at school that worked really well but I can’t remember the brand and the reason it was donated is because Advance was either closing it out or couldn’t sell it anymore I don’t remember. It came in a red and white container. And haha you watch that guy too lol I like his Beetle videos.

They have removed, what I think is called, methalyne chloride, and ever since then, the paint strippers don't really work all that well. I used some Rust-Oleum aircraft remover I think it was called, that worked pretty well. I guess methalyne chloride was pretty bad for peoples health if they didn't use a respirator, and banned it. So now people who want to use it responsibly can't...

I would try and purchase some methylene chloride for use, I'm sure a scientific supply company stocks it. I think I even used some in the lab recently that was ordered within the last year.

Edit: Just saw grainger stocks it. Big container for 255$, but if they sell it than chemical supply sources definably stock it in smaller quantities.

Good Luck and wear some good PPE!

Methling chloride is not actually completely banned for paint strippers, it is only banned for those that are sold to consumers. Strippers that are sold to industrial entities still have methylene chloride. Where do you work?

Back