Any truth to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

In fact, we know of several major NASCAR and other famous racing teams that use AMSOIL in their race cars yet the oil sponsors logo on the hood and quarter panels is not what is in the vehicle! They want you to believe it is..... but it isn't. Fact is, every successful major race car in the world uses synthetics, and about 85% of them use AMSOIL synthetics. We know exactly who these racing teams are but are not permitted to advertise who they are because they have such a large amount of money at stake with their sponsors wanting the public to believe they are using the brand of oil that is is advertised on the car.

You don't have to 'advertise' who they are...all you do is I "THINK" the folling teams "MIGHT" use Amsoil!!! Otherwise your statement is without any merit.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

In fact, we know of several major NASCAR and other famous racing teams that use AMSOIL in their race cars yet the oil sponsors logo on the hood and quarter panels is not what is in the vehicle! They want you to believe it is..... but it isn't. Fact is, every successful major race car in the world uses synthetics, and about 85% of them use AMSOIL synthetics. We know exactly who these racing teams are but are not permitted to advertise who they are because they have such a large amount of money at stake with their sponsors wanting the public to believe they are using the brand of oil that is is advertised on the car.

One thing is for darned sure, they do not use that stuff that comes in the cheap leaky bottles. That leaky stuff, I would not trust it to get my car down to the corner 7-11 store for a pack of smokes.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
One thing is for darned sure, they do not use that stuff that comes in the cheap leaky bottles. That leaky stuff, I would not trust it to get my car down to the corner 7-11 store for a pack of smokes.

I'd be more concerned about the long term effects of those smokes than the quality of what's in my engine's oil pan.

This quote could be a back door post to discredit Amsoil .............don't want to add to that, Amsoil is a fine motor lube.

Professional racing teams use ANY lube they can to win.

Most attempt to use the products they are sponsored by and work with the lube maker to fine tune for their application. $$'s talk persuasively and AJ Amatuzio is known in racing to be tight with sponsorship $. Probably smart on his part as racers like leaches will drain a small formulator dry needing sponsorship support, with little crossover to sales, i.e Synergyn and the NASCAR spanking they took a few years ago. And their oils are top notch and cutting edge.

The Dyno test results and the Engine builder have a big say depending on the crew chief and his level of lube awareness in the big buck levels of racing.

I agree overall that mostly Synthetics or blends are used at the top levels of NASCAR. Amsoil is NOT one I see used alot anymore. Maybe I just don't test those guys who do use it.

I still know of paying decision makers that don't care and think that all oil is the same, its the engine builders and tuners that are to blame for failures.

I know of teams that attempt to build their own oil based on experience and nuke their own well built engines.

patriot.gif

When I bought some motor oil, oil filters, etc., from Amsoil quite a while back, there was some paperwork that came with the stuff. I don't have that paperwork anymore, but somewhere in the paperwork there was some sort of statement (I cannot remember exactly how it was worded) to the effect that that approximately 75% (I think it was 75%-I cannot remember for sure) of Nascar drivers use Amsoil. I remember being impressed at the time. I have no way to determine if there is any truth to that or not-it seems to me that Terry should have a good idea since he is consulted by racers concerning motor oil. If Terry says that not many racers that he is aware of use Amsoil, then apparently few do.

I visited another web site where there was a discussion about motor oils, and one guy said that he had been present when a test of some kind was conducted on various motor oils. The guy said that there was a clear number one and a clear number two, with all other brands being below those two. According to the guy, Lubrication Engineer's and Royal Purple were the top two testing oils, although the guy did not say which oil supposedly tested as number one. Judging from some other discussion, I think that Royal Purple probably tested number one.

However, in UOAs that people have done at this site, Royal Purple does not seem to look that great. Judging from the UOAs that I have seen, Amsoil seems to look better. However, I heard that Royal Purple is really popular in racing.

I don't think I have ever seen a UOA of Lubrication Engineer's.

Sort of off topic but: After 16 years in Richmond (being an uprooted Yankee) I decided to view my first NASCAR race last weekend. An event to be sure. Reminded me of medieval times, tents, flags, lots of Confederate flags, some trucks with their own porta poties, a tent with a pool table etc. So, 99,988 screaming,(???????), drunken (me being one of them) racing fans and 12 African Americans (counted them) watching the race. A true "event" The fist throwing drivers and pit crews after the race added the icing to the cake, really a unique day.

Only car I observed marketing any oil was Pennzoil but I was not, shall we say, a good observer. However, looking at the new Action Oil Newsletter that came in this week Amsoil does not sponsor any Nascar drivers. My old dealer claimed a few drivers used the 0W30 in qualifying at Richmond, but said nothing of the race itself.

Mobil oil of the United Kingdom used to have a web page that highlighted the formula-1 racing teams that they sponsored. They had a diagram of the vehicle with each of the fluids that the vehicle used. For engine lubrication they provided a hand blended lubricant that was determined through countless hours of engine testing. Each team used its own formulation. They did use normal production greases for wheel bearings. I didn't pay much attention to coolant and brake fluids.

I honestly believe that it is foolish to assume that professional racing teams that have budgets measured in the millions of dollars use over-the-counter lubricants. It is also irresponsible for a lubricant manufacturer to insinuate such actions. Maybe 75% of NASCAR crew chiefs use Amsoil,, but it's possible that it is in their lawn mowers or kids go-karts, or maybe in their JetSki's. The wording didn't differentiate between applications.

I agree with ya'll.
grin.gif
This is a classic case of "anyone can sell it" strategy. It's a shame bc other then Pablo, TS and MSparks, I've never seen so many mistruths about oil then Amsoil dealers. A local dealer by me says he goes 40k miles on regular Amsoil 10w-30 ATM oil. He's full of **** or his engines are beat up inside. I thought this quote was interesting though. I bet all the oil companies such as Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol etc can fine toon an oil with specs that are unmatched by any retail sold oil.

Allegedly the PenZoil NASCAR entry DOES use over the counter Penzoil oil.......

....with their own additive package so that it will do the job for a 500 mile race.

I would imagine that any other oil sponsor would/could do the same.

Other then Mobil 1, aren't all oils in some fashion "blends"? How many actual oils are made from the producers products entirely?

One of the things that turned me off of auto racing was all of the dishonesty-that and it became a mega buck operation with no room for the little guy. I am pretty old now and I can remember a time when a college professor could build a Top Fuel drag racer in his garage and race on his days off. Nowadays I hear that after every run thousands of dollars worth of stuff is replaced.

I can remember one famous Cart racer advertising one oil supplement one year, and the next year he was advertising another type of oil supplement. It is all 'show me the money.'

There is so much money in big time auto racing today that the teams could probably afford to have a specially made motor oil for each race. I heard that the small time teams are using Redline and Torco. Who knows what the big time people are using, and you would not be able to believe what they say anyway. Like what was said above, the crew chiefs who say that they use Amsoil may be using it it their lawnmowers and kid's go-carts rather than the race cars.

Some say that auto racing advances automobile technology. That may have been true in the past, but today trying to compare big time auto racing cars to everyday cars is like trying to compare a World War II cargo plane with a Boeing 747. There is really very little in common.

I will say this-if some motor oil manufacturer deliberately tries to mislead me by making false claims about their motor oil being used in big time auto racing, I will never use their brand of oil. I don't care what the UOAs of their motor oils look like. I don't like being lied to.

Buster also talks about an Amsoil dealer who claims he drives 40,000 miles on one oil change. Who would even want to do something like that? Amsoil costs about 5-6 times what ordinary motor oil costs, so if somebody can go 3000 with ordinary motor oil you could go 15,000-18,000 miles with Amsoil for the same price (actually less, because you would be buying fewer oil filters). What is the point of risking the engine and going 40,000 miles except just for bragging rights? Who really cares? If somebody told me he had gone 50,000 miles on one oil change I would say, 'Who cares?' I think 90% of synthetic motor oil users would be happy with 15000-18000 miles.

I remember when Mobil 1 first came out they were saying that a person could go something like 25,000 miles on one oil change. Then they backed off from that. I get tired of any motor oil company that makes claims that you can go 25000-40000 miles on one oil change. Maybe you could do that with a tractor trailer truck being driven on the highway all the time with a lot of oil in the crankcase and with super quality filtering of air, fuel, and oil, and oil analysis. Locomotives can go a long way on one oil change but look at the amount of oil they carry, and the filtering, oil analysis, and add oil.

Sure, if with oil analysis the oil is still good at 40,000, why not. Eventually it gets kind of silly. Okay, you have gone one year and 25,000 miles. Why not go ahead and change the oil.

quote:

Buster also talks about an Amsoil dealer who claims he drives 40,000 miles on one oil change. Who would even want to do something like that? Amsoil costs about 5-6 times what ordinary motor oil costs, so if somebody can go 3000 with ordinary motor oil you could go 15,000-18,000 miles with Amsoil for the same price (actually less, because you would be buying fewer oil filters). What is the point of risking the engine and going 40,000 miles except just for bragging rights? Who really cares?

I totally agree. It's a shame too bc the guy was nice but he just was trying to hard to sell the product. Amsoil is great oil and I like the company, but unfortunately the fact that anyone can sell it allows many people to exagerate things. The Amsoil guys on this site are first class and can't be matched.
wink.gif

I think the circuits, cars, and money are too big in the US for people to use overthecounter lubes. But here our races are the little people, for sport, with as much as they can beg from suppliers. I sponsor a few cars with over-the-counter oils, paint the cars, etc. Some drivers don't use what is painted. At one of the latest races I was talking to a guy who had Texaco painted all over his car. He was running Amalie. Painted Texaco because he was friends with the Manager of Texaco. His engine went on the last lap.
A few years ago Amalie claimed here in advertising that 85% of the race cars in the country ran their oil. Pennzoil claimed 65%. Together they might have had 50%.
Advertising is aimed to get some people to believe. I agree that although they hook a few gulible souls, they turn off those who can see through it.

it is true they just use whatever they want. A guy I know used to build engines for a few ARCA series teams and one of the races I went to with him in the pits to hang out he used 15w50 Mobil 1 in it and it had Redline stickers on the car.

I don't know that the figure of 85%is close to correct, but there cerainly is a good percentage of racers using AMSOIL products--many of them the gear lube.
Do I know of a few? Certainly, but not in my interest, AMSOIL' interest, or their interest to publicize it.
Does Bobby Unser use AMSOIL? Certainly, and he has for about 20 years now. But he makes no secret of it, either, and was at the AMSOIL 30th anniversay convention.
Do AMSOIL dealers run long mileage. Sure, and they have for 30 years. Friend has a Dodge Cummins with over 200,000--still no oil drain. Granted, he has a bypass system. In older days, when I drove more than I do now (and before my fleet became mostly turbos), 30,000 on an oil drain was not unusual.
But keep in mind that AMSOIL won't keep a car from being rear-ended (my daughter has been whacked 4 times now, me just once). And it won't keep rocks from cracking the windshield, either.

I know the 200,000 mile guy you are talking about. That's where I buy my Amsoil. He sure likes to hunt elk, huh?

If you are in the business of selling the oil why would you not push the oil change interval?

Just because you don't believe something does not make the other person a liar. He just may be telling the truth.

I have personally gone over 25,000 miles running Amsoil 10W-40 back in the 70's and 80's. I traveled that in one year easy working all over the sate of Michigan. They said it went 25,000 miles on the oil can and I went that and more. None of my cars ever had engine problems. I had more important things to do then change oil every month. I would not be afraid to do it today if I was still driving all those miles but I am not (retired). I have known several others that have run the oil for that many miles and longer. I never did use the by-pass oil filters. I was never in one place long enough to find the time to install one.

[ September 14, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back